Ravage vs. Tear Armor?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rubiks-Q-Bert
Realm: Dentarg

Ravage vs. Tear Armor?

Unread post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

I'm trying to maximize dps on birds during the Aysrazor fight. Just trying to figure out which pet to go with for that particular fight. If I use a ravager I lose the ferocity talent Call of the Wild which I am not sure how much that effects my personal dps. Basically the question is 20% armor reduction or 4% increased physical damage? The one I will be shooting at is tanked by our paladin and the other one is tanked by a warrior. For interupt related reasons I am on the side with the paladin.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Ravage vs. Tear Armor?

Unread post by Kalliope »

What other physical dps buffs are there in your raid? Roar of Recovery is also a good self-buff, so it's really what will benefit your raid more overall. On the burn phase, you'll get sunder for the whole raid again, so if you're lacking the physical debuff, it'll benefit more there.

It really depends on your raid comp.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Kalliope wrote:What other physical dps buffs are there in your raid? Roar of Recovery is also a good self-buff, so it's really what will benefit your raid more overall. On the burn phase, you'll get sunder for the whole raid again, so if you're lacking the physical debuff, it'll benefit more there.

It really depends on your raid comp.
http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/?c=6eu ... 0000000000

Pretty much every buff is or can be covered for the most part. I am the BM hunter if that matters.

On the left we have the shaman and MM hunter doing interupts. Priest healing on that side with the warrior tank.

On the right there is the DK and Paladin interupting. Druid healing with the paladin tank. I am on that side just wailing on the bird.

We could switch tank sides of course and since that would be the warrior I could use the ravager but I don't want to mess up what we are used to.
Kalliope

Ahh okay, so everything else is covered all the time. If you're REALLY min-maxing, you could have the druid throw faerie fire on the bird for you when it spawns and use a ravager yourself, since you have the option. :)

YouTube Edition

Rubiks-Q-Bert

That's an idea I threw out there as well. Only problem with that would be range issue possibly. I was corrected that the druid heals the warrior and the priest heals the paladin. Is there a flat out way to see what would be more of a dps gain for me and the tank on that fight? It's pretty much just me and him hammering away on the bird.
Kalliope

Ah, in that case, I'm not sure. My guess is that the two buffs aren't going to be too far different from each other, especially for just two players. Unless you're doing heroic mode or something, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :) Just me, though; I'm far from being an epic min-maxer. ;)

YouTube Edition

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Kalliope wrote:Ah, in that case, I'm not sure. My guess is that the two buffs aren't going to be too far different from each other, especially for just two players. Unless you're doing heroic mode or something, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :) Just me, though; I'm far from being an epic min-maxer. ;)
I don't know if I am a min-maxer. I just take a lot of pride in trying to be the best I can be.
Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

to be honest its more about the tanks' dps on the hatchlings, since they get the 1000% dmg buff, they should be peaking at around 150K dps in phase1. putting thorns on the tanks helps a lot. 2.5 million dmg on two rounds of hatchlings.

most fights the tanks will have almost no hit or expertise. for this fight they need to get some hit and expertise. switch out some of the tank gear with dps gear, like trinkets, neck, and rings.

how's Dentarg these days?? it kinda died towards the end of BC.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

I've never found the adds at the start to be an issue, but mainly the boss burn phases. I'd recommend covering the buff that you don't have (warrior gives raptor buff or something yeah?) so you don't have a "useless" pet in the phases that actually need the buff.

I mean if you want to use a raptor for your own personal benefit on the adds go ahead, but I always found that I was running around on the ground chasing Alys half the time because the adds died so fast I'd have nothing to do... and that isn't even with a particularly high dps group... so yeah. Just my thoughts. :D