What the hell is Dr Who? [I watched Dr. Who]

Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

What the hell is Dr Who? [I watched Dr. Who]

Unread post by Qinni »

I keep hearing about it...I'm getting very tired of hearing it.

Someone asked me if I knew what a weeping angel was and I said no. They said I should be ashamed of myself. Hey I lived a sheltered life and never had the internet until I was in middle school (also into my freshmen year of high school)! I'm guessing its some sort of show in the UK? If it is then maybe that's why I never heard of it because I was born on the wrong side of the world apparently. (yes they said I was stupid for being American :C)

Any ways...tell me about this Dr Who so I won't be a Dr Who noob anymore.

I'm now been converted into a Dr. Who fan.

Last edited by Qinni on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: What the hell is Dr Who? :|

Unread post by Lupis »

It's a TV series, very nerd-centric. I, too, have been told repeatedly to watch it. My best friends all watch it, which means it might actually be good. Unfortunately… I don't know anything else about it.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, it's a show that has a big cult fanbase. No worries, I've never seen it either, so I can't tell you much...my vague knowledge only knows that it's about time travel and a phone booth or something. x)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

It's a very good show you should watch it. It was the longest running TV of all time I think it still is. Heck it's one of the best Sci fi Tv shows on TV ATM.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

I watched it a bit back in the 80s / 90s. Never really got into it hugely, but I did like the fact that this show is not dumbed down the way many are.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Ahm. The best comparison I can think of is it's like WoW when it comes to TV, at least in cultist-fanbase standards. From my experiences, people can get very, very worked up over Dr. Who. Like, seriously, hardcore "SQUUUUEEEE DOCTOR WHO MOCK IT AND I KILL YOU." (This is my real life experiences, rather.)

As for content...It's a sci-fi show focusing on a time-traveling alien simply called the Doctor who has a space ship that looks like a police booth called the TARDIS and he goes around and beats things up. Like the Cybermen. Or the iconic villain (In my opinion. There's also some Master guy, whoever he is, but Daleks > Any other possible villain.) the Daleks. They run around and shoot lightning rays and scream, "EXTERMINATE."

And yes, it's a UK thing. And yes, I get called silly and stupid for being American and thinking most British stuff is overrated. (It's just an accent! Besides, Irish accents are way cooler than British accents.)
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I never got into the "classic" Dr Who (with typical BBC special effects), but the recent series have been great! It's one of the few series that don't resort to violence to solve all problems encountered. The Doctor has an aversion to weapons, and the most dangerous thing he carries is his sonic screwdriver (think hightech-version-of-a-swiss-army-knife).

There are good stories being told, interesting character development, the show doesn't hit the "reset button" after every episode, and it's in many ways quite clever. Some have likened it to Firefly, but I find them too dissimilar to make that call. All in all though, I too can recommend Dr Who! :D
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Classic Dr.Who is odd, plus its a british show so some of the humor might be lost.

HOWEVER for the newer set of doctors (9th doctor onwards) so much love for the show! Its a lot of fun. I highly suggest watching the season with David Tennant (10th Doctor, the 11th is what the current one is). As he is widely by far the best IMO and most...fangirled. XD Hes great!
ImageImage
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I personally love the old Who. Yes it's budget but back then the BBC where not as rich as they are now. Frankly I don't think it would of been as good with a higher budget!
Allso it had SeaDevils in it and they where awesome!

I'm not saying the new stuffs bad its great and I like how they just keepet going from the old stuff and did not "reboot" it like so many other shows do when they bring them back.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Very good show. I highly recommend it. But it's not new. It's been around for a very looooooong time.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Meggers wrote:Classic Dr.Who is odd, plus its a british show so some of the humor might be lost.

HOWEVER for the newer set of doctors (9th doctor onwards) so much love for the show! Its a lot of fun. I highly suggest watching the season with David Tennant (10th Doctor, the 11th is what the current one is). As he is widely by far the best IMO and most...fangirled. XD Hes great!

Ha, I think the ninth doctor was a lot better and it makes me sad he doesn't get as much air time as the 10th does.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Well he would of been the DR longer but he hated playing it or something. He's like the guy who played Angel in Buffy he wont talk about it and thinks the shows poop.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Qinni wrote:

I keep hearing about it...I'm getting very tired of hearing it.

Someone asked me if I knew what a weeping angel was and I said no. They said I should be ashamed of myself. Hey I lived a sheltered life and never had the internet until I was in middle school (also into my freshmen year of high school)! I'm guessing its some sort of show in the UK? If it is then maybe that's why I never heard of it because I was born on the wrong side of the world apparently. (yes they said I was stupid for being American :C)

Any ways...tell me about this Dr Who so I won't be a Dr Who noob anymore.

Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a time-travelling humanoid alien known as the Doctor who explores the universe in a sentient time machine called the TARDIS that flies through time and space, whose exterior appears as a blue police box. Along with a succession of companions, he faces a variety of foes while working to save civilisations, help people, and right wrongs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76vzfxJRByA
cowmuflage wrote:He's like the guy who played Angel in Buffy.
He is in another show called Bones now.
Last edited by AdamSavage on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

cowmuflage wrote:He's like the guy who played Angel in Buffy he wont talk about it and thinks the shows poop.
Oh does he really? Makes at least two of us then =)
Buffy, (the show, not the character) on the other hand, rocked (imho).
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Yeah Buffy was cool well the first 3 seasons where good then it kinda went downhill IMO. Tho that epp with no sound was cool.
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

Thanks for all the info, lest I wont be going "Wut" all the time.

Any Dr Who for free online? :C
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I'm sure you could easyily find it. I just watch it on TV XD
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Qinni wrote:Thanks for all the info, lest I wont be going "Wut" all the time.

Any Dr Who for free online? :C
Torrents is one option, I know of a reliable Virus free site. Another option is watching it on them free tv shows online sites.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/movi ... &sa=Search
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Qinni wrote:Any Dr Who for free online? :C
I don't know if it's blocked to be .au only, but there should be a few episodes available on ABC's iView.
Zuilu

Unread post by Zuilu »

I absolutely love Dr. Who, and everyone's done a good job at explaining it so I don't have to :D
I have no-download site where you can watch all the newer seasons (regularily updated)
I watch from here all the time. Lists seasons 1-6. There's like 20+ different video options for each episode so you can choose between megavideo, sockshare, videobb, etc etc. It's pretty much a compiled source of all episode links online.