Ignoring ppl only because their names offend you.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Ignoring ppl only because their names offend you.

Unread post by Ana »

I must admit i do this... I were in agrp in lost city and our tank were called " Satanisten" (The satanish in Danish). It bugged me to an extend that i ignored the tank and left the dungeon.

I often find myself pondering why blizzard name catcher didt catch some names, (like fockmenauw - yup that happend), and other names like Christkiller etc.. I find such names really offensive, and i would rather take a 30min cd in a dungeon then continue to be with ppl who have such names

Am i the only one who does this? - i am just curios if its me who is a bit sensetive about names, or wheter or not its a general issue for many ppl

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Re: Ignoring ppl only because their names offend you.

Unread post by Malackai »

Ignore them if I get in a dungeon with them not really.
I sometimes really headdesk when I see people use nasty or retarded names in my own native language (Dutch)

and it sometimes makes it hard to take people like that seriously >_>
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

If it's offensive enough, I report the name.
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

I don't let it get to me. To me they're just words. /shrug

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Zuilu

Unread post by Zuilu »

Er..not really. If it's something EXTREMELY offensive, such as a racist, sexist or otherwise descrimitory slur, I'll report it, but if it's just something that I deem stupid..well, it's not really any of my buisness. They can name their toon whatever they want unless it's against the TOS.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

I do /ignore based on offensive naming in /trade or /general - often people with such names like to spam those channels as a "LOOK AT ME EVERYONE I'M ALL EDGY AN' PROVOCATIVE AN' STUFF!!one!eleven", so it's kind of a no-brainer to put them on ignore in that context. I mean what good are they to me anyway? Might as well hook them off the stage.

But I don't do that in dungeons - as long as the person is doing their job and not trying to be a prick (outside of their name), then I'd rather just pull together and get it done as soon as possible, so we can all be free of eachother and go our separate ways.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I end up ignoring many people in trade chat, but I'm usually just looking at what they say, rather than their names. Even then, my ignore list is just not long enough! :)

For stuff that is truly offensive (hate speech, etc.), I report them, rather than just putting them on ignore.
Chakori
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chakori »

I think Ive only done it once because it was overly rude >.<
Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

I report names that are against the ToS for being offensive. Most of the time, anyway.

Otherwise, it's like custom license plates and bumper stickers -- they serve as useful warnings about what kind of player they are.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

If a name is especially crude I'd probably report it, but I don't think there are many names that would actually offend me. I ignore people by their behaviour, their character names (while stupid in some cases), don't bother me enough to ignore for.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Like most of the others, I don't generally get offended by a person's character name and wouldn't put them on ignore or leave a dungeon solely because of a name. If it's a name that I feel is largely in distaste and potentially against the ToS then I report them and go on my way. If the person behind the name is acting rude, malicious, etc, then I will put them on ignore and report them if their actions were severe.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

IIRC if you ignore them then you won't get randomly grouped with em again.

fatman
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul (both sides)

Unread post by fatman »

I rarely notice other players' names in PUG. I usually look at their symbol like Tank, Healer or DPS, and sometimes their health bar, than their names. Things often happen too fast for me to notice their names but I take note of what people say in chat. That's when I "ignore" people.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Vephriel wrote:If a name is especially crude I'd probably report it, but I don't think there are many names that would actually offend me. I ignore people by their behaviour, their character names (while stupid in some cases), don't bother me enough to ignore for.
^ PRetty much what I do.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

There are not that many names that offend me that much. If someone has a name that is derogatory towards my religion-well they'll learn better in the end, no?

What really, really ticks me off is the people on my server who post 'anal' and then links of achieves or attacks. It can get really disgusting and wrong really quick. One person use the 'for the children' achieve in theirs in the trade chat a few weeks ago-that seriously pissed me off enough to report them, when I generally just ignore them.

People doing stupid names I can get sometimes, but posting that kind of bs in trade chat is just really, really dumb. I can't count how many times I've ignored and reported people from that.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

i downloaded badboy to aovid the anal spam and i love that addon :)

I guess its jus me who are a bith touchy when it comes to names.. i accually feel sick in rl if its names which either features glorification of evil,rape,sex, etc or names which are offensive toward God,Christ etc

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

I must say that I'm quite sensitive to names too, though I rarely ignore players because of their names. I just report them.
For some reason, I more often notice bad names in my native language (which is danish) and have to explain to the GM that the name is danish, and offending, or something like that.

But you're not alone Tårnfalk. I also feel disgusted IRL by character names sometimes.

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I never ignore by name, I take names a lot more seriously than other people can and I understand that. Not everyone wants a serious name.

I *do* report names, though. Not often, but if I see a player (or pet!) named something especially crude or disgusting, I'll end up reporting it. I can't be the only one disgusted by it after all. (I've reported more pet names than player names. Things like "Douchebag" and much worse. Honestly, just leave the pet without a name if you're going to be so immature. >.<)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:I've reported more pet names than player names.
Same here. Player names don't get to me very often, I can't say I care what people choose to name their characters much, but when I see a poor pet stuck with a disgusting or crude name that riles me up and I report it.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Honestly, just leave the pet without a name if you're going to be so immature. >.<)
This is partly why unnamed pets don't bother me a bit - because easily 2/3 of the pet names I see are either stupid ("fuzzybutt", "goober", etc) or offensive.

So when I see a "Wolf" or a "Spirit Beast", I mutter a silent thank you to the hunter for (possibly) restraining themself from something worse. :)