Reduced Max Cam Distance in Legion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Magnakilro
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar

Reduced Max Cam Distance in Legion

Unread post by Magnakilro »

Just a head's up, but they are reducing how far you can zoom out your camera in Legion.

Personally for me, not much'll change.....but this may mess with others here, so just a head's up.

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/578 ... -Reduction
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Reduced Max Cam Distance in Legion

Unread post by Wain »

Magnakilro wrote:Just a head's up, but they are reducing how far you can zoom out your camera in Legion.

Personally for me, not much'll change.....but this may mess with others here, so just a head's up.

Damn, I've had that enabled since my earliest days of playing. I always set my camera max distance to more than the standard UI and I feel claustrophobic when I play with anything less.

It's hardly a deal-breaking change, but it's still very annoying to me. Not only did someone spend time disabling a long-established but (by their own admission) minority-enabled feature that wasn't broken, someone else wasted an awful lot of time on that long blog post to explain it. I mean, look at all the words there and compare this with the broken state of BM and the amount of feedback we've received on that. Or many other changes where players have been asking for feedback because they feel uncomfortable with them. None.

Probably only about five weeks to pre-Legion patch now. Probably much less to code freeze. Tick tick tick.

:evil:
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I do not like this, Sam I Am.
I do not like reduced max cam. :C

But no seriously, this isn't a deal-breaker either, but its very annoying to me. Ever since I first began playing, I've had my max camera distance set more than the standard UI as well. Claustrophobic is a good way to describe how it feels to me as well. I've always used it for raiding, I'm not sure how I'm going to like it going forward but...

And yeah, basically everything Wain said as well.

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Ummm, am I the only one that feels like this is more babying the game? I mean he talks about some games needing 3rd party software to force the game to zoom out more. Really? That shit gets you banned in most games if not all online games, in WoW if you spend all of 2 seconds searching you can find the script: /script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax",30) no 3rd party anything required it is totally different. Do people really need their hand held for this? I don't like the Leg zoom out as it almost cuts in half the max zoom out now. I have a large screen and I like seeing more, don't gimp my view because some parent who uses WoW as a babysitter kid got ganked one too many times because they can't use Google to figure out how to zoom out more. :evil:

/rant done

Side note we need an angry Smilie :mrgreen:

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote:
Magnakilro wrote:Just a head's up, but they are reducing how far you can zoom out your camera in Legion.

Damn, I've had that enabled since my earliest days of playing. I always set my camera max distance to more than the standard UI and I feel claustrophobic when I play with anything less.

It's hardly a deal-breaking change, but it's still very annoying to me. Not only did someone spend time disabling a long-established but (by their own admission) minority-enabled feature that wasn't broken, someone else wasted an awful lot of time on that long blog post to explain it. I mean, look at all the words there and compare this with the broken state of BM and the amount of feedback we've received on that. Or many other changes where players have been asking for feedback because they feel uncomfortable with them. None.

Probably only about five weeks to pre-Legion patch now. Probably much less to code freeze. Tick tick tick.

Everything you said, Wain. :/ I'm really upset about this. Like you, I've used the max camera distance macro since my Vanilla days and I haven't been able to play without it ever since. This is going to be very stifling. Guh.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:It's hardly a deal-breaking change, but it's still very annoying to me.
This is the best way for me to describe it too. I guess increasing the slider bar was out of the question.

...code freeze.
Off topic, but my job has made me despise that phrase. Ugh.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rikaku wrote:I do not like this, Sam I Am.
I do not like reduced max cam. :C
:lol: Thanks for giving me a good laugh among the bad news :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Wain wrote:

This ^ :(

What the actual F. . . As others have mentioned I too have used this in forever. I HATE being too close to my toon and find that further back I get less of that motion sickness feeling. Their excuse of "provides an objective advantage in the form of information" So why not just add the max zoom we are all using to the game? I'm so sick of them removing things like this that have been in the game for so long. Just why?!? :cry:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Considering I normally use large mounts like proto drakes and cloud serpents, I need my camera zoomed out to even see anything.

I really hope the new "max" camera distance is still good enough to avoid having my entire screen taken up. :/ But where raiding is concerned, it'll definitely suck not being able to see around you as efficiently.

And yes, I agree their reasoning behind this change is stupid. As Spiritbinder said, if they're concerned about certain players having an advantage... just increase the max camera distance allowed in the UI?? I don't get it.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Lupen202 wrote:Considering I normally use large mounts like proto drakes and cloud serpents, I need my camera zoomed out to even see anything.
Oh gosh, yes, this is generally why I use it too.

I have really terrible situational awareness if I can't see behind me and that can make or break me on some fights. Not a fan of this at all.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Arthur »

Oh I don't like that!!! It's making me very anxious already and It's not even live! ):
I hate, hate not being able to see all around!

Also same Kalliope.
This is giving me some dread.

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

My heart goes out to you all. :hug: This isn't exactly bothersome for me because I am lucky (maybe) in that I don't have my camera zoomed out to max. I actually can't especially when moving because it makes me very motion sick and triggers migraines. Which in some cases leaves me at a disadvantage in some raid fights not being able to see all around.

Where this does really really piss me off is that so many people one this site alone have complained about BM and not a f-ing thing is being done. I don't even think a dev or blue poster has responded have they?

Yet they completely alter a mechanic like this? THIS had priority over fixing an entire f-ing class.

Again I am so sorry this may cause problems for other players on here.

Blizzard lack of logic is starting to really piss me off on so many fronts

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

I will miss this dearly in raiding and dungeons. Elsewhere I keep my camera relatively close usually.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Whenever my raid leader says that he's going to zoom his camera out for a fight, I'm baffled how he plays with it not at max distance all the time. Especially when tanking. I find it vital for situational awareness when I tank. Back in vanilla or BC, I even had a macro that instructed the raid how to set their max distance, because it was needed for everyone in a particular fight. I am very skeptical that, "The development team builds the world, its art, its combat mechanics, and other interactions, around the base UI experience and scale."

"Basically all of us started out playing WoW at the UI-enabled zoom level, and fell in love with that world ...", is also false. I learned about setting max zoom very early on. One of the things I love about warcraft is the ability to do addons and macros, and not rely 100% on the GUI. If I'd been stuck at the camera zoom level that I'd been at when I started playing, then I would not have "fallen in love with the world". This feels so out of touch and patronizing, it feels like Ion wrote it.

Putting tick marks on the slider would solve what they're saying the problem is. If art is designed specifically for a certain zoom level, put a tick there. For tanking and for pvp, the idea camera location is not at the putative "art-distance".

edit:
I just checked the post on the official forum. It was Ion who wrote it. You'd think he would have learned something after promising no more flying ever because of how much the players liked being grounded.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Xota wrote:Whenever my raid leader says that he's going to zoom his camera out for a fight, I'm baffled how he plays with it not at max distance all the time. Especially when tanking. I find it vital for situational awareness when I tank. Back in vanilla or BC, I even had a macro that instructed the raid how to set their max distance, because it was needed for everyone in a particular fight. I am very skeptical that, "The development team builds the world, its art, its combat mechanics, and other interactions, around the base UI experience and scale."

"Basically all of us started out playing WoW at the UI-enabled zoom level, and fell in love with that world ...", is also false. I learned about setting max zoom very early on. One of the things I love about warcraft is the ability to do addons and macros, and not rely 100% on the GUI. If I'd been stuck at the camera zoom level that I'd been at when I started playing, then I would not have "fallen in love with the world". This feels so out of touch and patronizing, it feels like Ion wrote it.

You took the words right out of my mouth, that's exactly what I posted last night on the official forums. If the game had been designed around "the base UI experience and scale", then explain to me the WoD fights which utilize the zoomed out experience more than previous expansions in my personal experience.

I felt it was pretty patronizing too =/

ionicOneirologist
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by ionicOneirologist »

Oh no, I'm going to hate this. :C I'm one of those people with awful situational awareness and I have a lot of trouble paying attention to multiple things at once, so being able to zoom out all the way has been a huge boon to me. (I also love being able to see enormous models and vast landscapes - I got my computer to the point of being able to run WoW on super high settings for a reason!) I clearly remember first figuring out how to zoom and being like "oh holy crap, this is so much better!!"

Honestly if I want or need to be closer to my toon I'll just... zoom in...? I don't understand the logic behind this change either, and agree that their reasonings don't hold water with me. You've all put it better, but yeah, me too.

Maybe there'll be enough objection to it in the playerbase that they'll change their minds, but...
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I'm going to see how much it goes. I'll have to hope that the amount it expands out to is enough.

At least they're not going to make it purely first person. I get sick if I try to play games from a first person POV. Which is really sad, considering all the best survival/sandobox-looking games nowadays all seem to be in the first person. :(
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I was going to say "the semi-silver lining here is that they increased the distance at the far end of the camera slider so you can actually zoom more by default," but that actually doesn't appear to be the case: Legion and Live seem identical in that regard.

I usually don't zoom to the max available zoom (I typically am one or two "scroll wheel clicks" further out than the maximum zoom of the "nearest" on the slider) but I definitely go out wider in certain raids, and ESPECIALLY if I'm in melee. You just flat out can't see anything otherwise.

I can only hope that they stop making every boss Godzilla-sized as a result, though that doesn't appear to be the case in t19 from what I've seen thus far :\
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Zulmalakhan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Zulmalakhan »

well..... this is the second worst decision they made in legion. ( the first was the BM spec fantasy )