Crafting Professions
Crafting Professions
Are they even worth it anymore? I finally got my Paladin's blacksmithing to 450; but there's nothing left for him to buy unless I start raiding. But me? Raiding, seriously? I wouldn't be able to handle that. And the same with Yas's eng and Rosalyn's Leatherworking. It seems everything good or atleast useful requires me to A: be in a raiding guild or B: in a raiding guild. As unfortunately there's no way I'd be able to get into a pug, hell I was lucky enough to get Yas into a VoA run for 2 bosses a few days ago without having an achieve.
I mean I don't want anything handed to me on a silver platter, but if you're forced to raid to be able to get any craftables worth crafting for alts and etc.. Mean I'd be more motivated to do heroics on my Pally if frost emblems would get me BS recipes since I've got a war and DK up and coming to 60/70+ :/
And this isn't about Cata's change to crafting professions for enabling you to change stats on gear and all that as even then all you really need is one toon per 'skill'.
I mean I don't want anything handed to me on a silver platter, but if you're forced to raid to be able to get any craftables worth crafting for alts and etc.. Mean I'd be more motivated to do heroics on my Pally if frost emblems would get me BS recipes since I've got a war and DK up and coming to 60/70+ :/
And this isn't about Cata's change to crafting professions for enabling you to change stats on gear and all that as even then all you really need is one toon per 'skill'.
Re: Crafting Professions
Crafting professions are pretty much for providing some extra boosts to your raid or pvp performance. You can make money via Jewelcrafting as well as providing better gems for your own gear.
You can do your daily heroic random and use Frost badges to buy Primordial Saronite to get the ICC patterns or buy the Saronite from auction.
Some professions are worth it outside of the raid environment for making money - Jewelcrafting, Alchemy, Enchanting, Inscription all create items that you can sell for raiders and/or PvPers.
Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, Engineering are more for personal advantages in raids or PvP and Heroics to a lesser extent.
You can do your daily heroic random and use Frost badges to buy Primordial Saronite to get the ICC patterns or buy the Saronite from auction.
Some professions are worth it outside of the raid environment for making money - Jewelcrafting, Alchemy, Enchanting, Inscription all create items that you can sell for raiders and/or PvPers.
Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, Engineering are more for personal advantages in raids or PvP and Heroics to a lesser extent.
- Sarayana
- Illustrious Master Hunter

- Posts: 4685
- Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am
- Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US
Re: Crafting Professions
I agree with what Anansi said, with one exception. I buy arctic fur for ~30-40g on the AH and turn it into Frostscale Leg Armor (I have all the other mats from mining, skinning, and running heroics) and easily make 250-300g a pop. Leatherworking can definitely make you nice cash. 

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3
Re: Crafting Professions
Sarayana wrote:I agree with what Anansi said, with one exception. I buy arctic fur for ~30-40g on the AH and turn it into Frostscale Leg Armor (I have all the other mats from mining, skinning, and running heroics) and easily make 250-300g a pop. Leatherworking can definitely make you nice cash.
I'll have to check the prices for that, but idk, whenever I try to sell anything it just won't sell. And then the moment I stop trying to sell it it sells like candy to candy addicts <_>
IE for last 4 months or so tried selling saronite ore. Couldn't even give it away at 15g a stack. Now it's 20-50g a stack but ofc now I need it so
Only problem is 2 a day, and for DPS that's usually an hour spent waiting for a group. Ontop of it, the emblems need to go for gear first. Mean I wouldn't mind triumph emblem dumping, but frost?You can do your daily heroic random and use Frost badges to buy Primordial Saronite to get the ICC patterns or buy the Saronite from auction.
Mean it already takes what, average of 60-90 frost emblems PER t10[?] gear. I mean i don't want to sound like a whiner but that really is just.. spending several hours to get 2 frost emblems per toon with professions and given some days I can't even get into an LFG at a respectable time, meaning for about the same hours some people spend in one raid, I make 2~6 frost emblems over various alts, given the time/my luck.
Re: Crafting Professions
Yeah, I've never had much luck selling leg armour kits, I'll try to remember to give it another go and see what happens. I see Heavy Borean Leather *listing* for crazy amounts too but I don't think it actually sells, even at a reasonable undercut rate.Ryai wrote:I'll have to check the prices for that, but idk, whenever I try to sell anything it just won't sell. And then the moment I stop trying to sell it it sells like candy to candy addicts <_>
IE for last 4 months or so tried selling saronite ore. Couldn't even give it away at 15g a stack. Now it's 20-50g a stack but ofc now I need it so
As for ore, it fluctuates like crazy. Sometimes the ore is worth more, sometimes the bars, sometimes it's high, sometimes it's low. The ore and metal market is a tricky one.
Well, I'll be blunt with you - if you're not raiding, why do you need T10? If you are raiding it's pretty quick to get the badges.Only problem is 2 a day, and for DPS that's usually an hour spent waiting for a group. Ontop of it, the emblems need to go for gear first. Mean I wouldn't mind triumph emblem dumping, but frost?
Mean it already takes what, average of 60-90 frost emblems PER t10[?] gear. I mean i don't want to sound like a whiner but that really is just.. spending several hours to get 2 frost emblems per toon with professions and given some days I can't even get into an LFG at a respectable time, meaning for about the same hours some people spend in one raid, I make 2~6 frost emblems over various alts, given the time/my luck.
Re: Crafting Professions
Well, crafting professions all have some sort of buffs that roughly balance out now, depending on your class.
For your paladin, the two extra gem sockets are nice. My pally is BS/JC, which is min-maxed for raiding. The problem is, that really limits you in non-raiding times. That's part of why he's on the shelve now.
I would NOT recommend dual-crafting professions unless you are a hard-core raider, or the toon is an alt or raid-only toon. Having one crafting and one gathering gives you a lot more options on what to do.
All that said, you don't really need to worry about getting those high-end patterns now. You can simply gather the mats, find someone with the pattern, and tip them 100G. That's the sad thing about having those high-end patterns. They don't get you much.
I'm wondering what Blizz will give crafters in Cata.. I'm waiting to see if I need to drop engineering or not...
For your paladin, the two extra gem sockets are nice. My pally is BS/JC, which is min-maxed for raiding. The problem is, that really limits you in non-raiding times. That's part of why he's on the shelve now.
I would NOT recommend dual-crafting professions unless you are a hard-core raider, or the toon is an alt or raid-only toon. Having one crafting and one gathering gives you a lot more options on what to do.
All that said, you don't really need to worry about getting those high-end patterns now. You can simply gather the mats, find someone with the pattern, and tip them 100G. That's the sad thing about having those high-end patterns. They don't get you much.
I'm wondering what Blizz will give crafters in Cata.. I'm waiting to see if I need to drop engineering or not...
Account has been closed at user's request.
- Ungoro
- Expert Hunter

- Posts: 426
- Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:03 am
- Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU
- Gender: Male
- Location: England
Re: Crafting Professions
Well, being in a raiding guild doesn't even gaurantee you a place in there raiding now-a-days.Yeah, my mate just left the guild we were in to join a raiding one and it turns out they want a GS of 5100...and he's only on 5460 (Because there's such a difference, right?)...This post is quite off-topic. Oh wait...back on track now!Ryai wrote:A: be in a raiding guild or B: in a raiding guild
I think in leatherworking though you can make those drums that increase stats (there like pally buffs, but the stat increase is actually lower...thery're just backup incase you're missing a pally).
Re: Crafting Professions
Because sadly, the raiders control VOA and other runs, and even heroics to some extent. Not getting some tier 10 is LFG gear-score suicide.Anansi wrote:Well, I'll be blunt with you - if you're not raiding, why do you need T10? If you are raiding it's pretty quick to get the badges.Ryai wrote: Only problem is 2 a day, and for DPS that's usually an hour spent waiting for a group. Ontop of it, the emblems need to go for gear first. Mean I wouldn't mind triumph emblem dumping, but frost?
Mean it already takes what, average of 60-90 frost emblems PER t10[?] gear. I mean i don't want to sound like a whiner but that really is just.. spending several hours to get 2 frost emblems per toon with professions and given some days I can't even get into an LFG at a respectable time, meaning for about the same hours some people spend in one raid, I make 2~6 frost emblems over various alts, given the time/my luck.
Blizz's goal is to open up the basic raiding to everyone. At least VOA and the weekly raid quest.
Ryai, yes, it is a grind to get the badges. I spent hours and hours grinding gear on my pally to the point I am sick of him. Don't want to tank anymore. So don't stress it too much. Just try to get in the weekly raid quest, and VOA if you can. Maybe you'll get lucky with drops in VOA too.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Re: Crafting Professions
Depends on the server. At least on Windrunner, there are plenty of pugs doing at least the first 4 of ICC10 and ICC25 each week. But I know some servers don't have much going in the way of pugs.Ungoro wrote:Well, being in a raiding guild doesn't even gaurantee you a place in there raiding now-a-days...Ryai wrote:A: be in a raiding guild or B: in a raiding guild
Account has been closed at user's request.
Re: Crafting Professions
1: cause I want to get a set of -something- atleast once on a toon. I only managed that once and that was with, laughably, pvp gear.Anansi wrote:Well, I'll be blunt with you - if you're not raiding, why do you need T10? If you are raiding it's pretty quick to get the badges.
2: cause some of my only available upgrades are unfortunately, you guessed it, frost emblem rewards. Such as a cloak which my hunters really, really need tbh.
3: you ever tank an instance 'undergeared' compared to other people? It's hell in a handbasket and that's even with ezmoad paladin.
4: And the only way to even be able to pug serious raids that aren't the 'easy' weeklies, is you guessed it, need the gear and tacts atleast.
Yeah I try but people seem so caught up in class runs class runs class runs- nor worse, class with specific specc runs and never seen a BM hunter get asked for. Why I was surprised Yas got in- and then got pants from think VoA10.Just try to get in the weekly raid quest, and VOA if you can. Maybe you'll get lucky with drops in VOA too.
Yeah they do- only allowing those with 5-6k gs half the time, ontop of wanting achievements, friend of mine gets denied runs even tho she's well geared, well before Yas was, well before Iceboss came out. Mean Crotchfire is nothing compared to the fuckery the ice boss does.Because sadly, the raiders control VOA and other runs, and even heroics to some extent. Not getting some tier 10 is LFG gear-score suicide.
specially in 10 man when I realized I was really the only one attempting to dps down the orbs
But the 'class runs' really just kill it. It goes from being 'fair' to 'I don't want to share my loot with nobody! mine mine mine!'. Hell we ran into this for the weekly Raid for ulda. Aria got another hunter and I'd been silent until then, saw someone with Ahune's scythe for the first time, so said/linked in raid as was to lazy to switch. Hunter left and evidently told Aria 'dps spot was already taken so I'd be worthless' or something to that effect.
Even tho there's three different speccs of hunter, he automatically assumes I'm the same as him? And wtf would we really be rolling on for ulda gear? It's what il219? Mean the only thing that dropped were bracers and a fucking paladin ninja'd them even before I rolled greed.
Re: Crafting Professions
Class runs for Ulda? That's just stupid. The weekly raid is a badge run. What server are you on?Ryai wrote: 2: cause some of my only available upgrades are unfortunately, you guessed it, frost emblem rewards. Such as a cloak which my hunters really, really need tbh.
3: you ever tank an instance 'undergeared' compared to other people? It's hell in a handbasket and that's even with ezmoad paladin.
4: And the only way to even be able to pug serious raids that aren't the 'easy' weeklies, is you guessed it, need the gear and tacts atleast.
Yeah I try but people seem so caught up in class runs class runs class runs- nor worse, class with specific specc runs and never seen a BM hunter get asked for. Why I was surprised Yas got in- and then got pants from think VoA10.
But the 'class runs' really just kill it. It goes from being 'fair' to 'I don't want to share my loot with nobody! mine mine mine!'. Hell we ran into this for the weekly Raid for ulda. Aria got another hunter and I'd been silent until then, saw someone with Ahune's scythe for the first time, so said/linked in raid as was to lazy to switch. Hunter left and evidently told Aria 'dps spot was already taken so I'd be worthless' or something to that effect.
For VOA, here's a tip, start your own run as soon as WG turns over. Then you are in control.
They never will ask for a BM hunter. Don't bring it up, just jump in there as a hunter. Gotta be bold.
Blizz has created a situation that forces everyone towards ICC, and the frost badge gear. So it's something we all need to adjust to. And yes, it is a grind...
Account has been closed at user's request.




