Dual Wielding?

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Dual Wielding?

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Alrighty, so I've gotten my first ever hunter to level 80 recently--like a week or two ago. I'm starting to gear her up and whatnot, but I am curious. Is it better to dual-wield weapons, or use a single two-handed weapon? I know hunters don't melee often, but is it still better to have 2 melee weapons to try and boost stat gains more, or is it better to take a single two-handed weapon?

My apologies if this question seems ridiculous, by the way. As a hunter I'm kind of new to end-game material, haha.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Dual Wielding?

Unread post by Vephriel »

Mm, I think it all depends on the stats.

Our melee weapons are merely stat sticks and serve no purpose, so if you happen to come across two single-hand weapons with a combined stat superiority to a two-handed weapon, then go for it. I'm pretty sure most end-game weapons for hunters are two-handed though. Staves, polearms, and such.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Vephriel wrote:Mm, I think it all depends on the stats.
Our melee weapons are merely stat sticks and serve no purpose, so if you happen to come across two single-hand weapons with a combined stat superiority to a two-handed weapon, then go for it. I'm pretty sure most end-game weapons for hunters are two-handed though. Staves, polearms, and such.
This is signed by me with a big, fat permanent marker.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Alrighty then. That's what I thought, but I wanted to double-check before I started spending marks and hard-earned gold on things I might not need XD.

Thanks guys :)

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Yeah, most hunters want to use the stave/polearm with the best stats overall. If you see a one hand drop that's really nice, maybe take it in case you get another good one hand before you get a two hander.

Gala
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Gala »

most hunters i have seen in my guild use stat sticks. I think Twin's Pact is the big one right now.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Interestingly enough, it would seem that, at least at the moment, the best-in-slot for hunters are:

Bloodvenom Blade http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50412

and

Frost Giant's Cleaver http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50787

(At least, I was told they were BiS by a hunter guildie who's really, really into the number crunching. Your mileage may vary, of course.)

So if you have access to an Icecrown Citadel raid...dual-wielding may be the way to go as we move further into Arthas' castle. I got to pick up a Bloodvenom Blade myself this week...now to see if we can get it to drop one more time so I can get a second one. :D

But for general use...as has been said above, either/or is fine. If you find a 2-handed weapon that has better stats than 2 1-handers, use it. Or vice versa. Whatever you can get that's an upgrade and works well for you.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Usually, two-handers are better, with Polearms usually having the best stats in the game for Hunters, and staffs coming in at a close second. Two-handed axes are'nt too shoddy either.

Daggers are usually engineered towards Rogues, which means no Intellect, which is the same reason for why wearing Leather might seem like a good idea, when it usually is'nt. We Hunters do need Intellect, unless we intend to go OOM in the middle of the fight.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I don't mind intellect. I go straight for agility.

I'm no number cruncher but it serves me. That what Aspect of the Viper is for, after all. I'm not out be Damage or DPS No. 1, though.

I do pretty good damage, at least no one ever complained about it. But it sure keeps you from having to eye omen all the time.
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

For those who aren't math savy (like me) here's a good site to try out...

www.femaledwarf.com

Do the armoury link up and then swap out weps. Consequently, the theme tends to be that a 2H wep of the same level outperforms 2 one handed weapons.
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Yeah, generally speaking, the stats from the 2her will be superior for PvE, just because you're getting sockets and such from the 2h and not necessarily from the 1hers.

Basically, use what's actually available to you. You can't guarantee anything's going to drop and if you take one thing, then swap to another later before they all get their upgrades, your raid's going to be a bit peeved. (Ugh, hunter lootwhoring...comes so easily...)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Dvorkin
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dvorkin »

Karathyriel wrote:I don't mind intellect. I go straight for agility.
According to my calculations, for BM hunter with Careful Aim talent, Intellect is actually better then Agility, point per point.

Anyway, what others said - melee weapon is for stats only, no other purpose whatsoever.

-Dvorkin.
Charlie
Realm: US Tanaris

Unread post by Charlie »

Yes yes ^
as wonderful as agility and attackpower are
intellect is as good as attackpower and if you get all three of those stats on all your gear(all hunter epics have all three stats)
more power to you
and you get more mana which is always a bonus too

btw careful aim is very low in the MM tree
SO NO MATTER WHAT YOU SPEC YOU SHOULD PICK UP THIS TALENT
all 3 points of it
maybe just 2 if you're pressed for points at 80
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

.... I really want a Ranger Hero-Class... Something like a Hunter-Rogue hybrid... One Tree is for Range, One for Melee, and one for something else... I'd prolly roll one as an alt. =) Or they could just make hunters somewhat Melee Viable...

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Jakjak
Realm: The Scryers

Unread post by Jakjak »

I'm a big fan of dual wielding, just because the slower attack bugs me. I prefer seeing my character actually fighting, even if the hits aren't doing as much damage, than to be standing there taking several hits between attacks.
Vephriel

Jakjak wrote:I'm a big fan of dual wielding, just because the slower attack bugs me. I prefer seeing my character actually fighting, even if the hits aren't doing as much damage, than to be standing there taking several hits between attacks.
Heh, I know what you mean. xD It's just more satisfying to have your character visibly attacking something quickly instead of the long pauses between.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

That's why I was initially so impressed with Rogues.

Just stab stab stab stab stab eviscerate stab stab stab

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel

Yes, rogues are so much fun when you start one. xD You feel all invincible and amazing. I've get to get one past 30, but I tend to get in a drag during the 20's.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

There's that axe that drops in the first wing of ICC 10 that is utterly impractical for rogues to dw, due to the speed on it, but the way they're back-mounted axes makes it seem to me that they're intended for hunters. :D

(Or maybe enhancement shammies too; I don't really know what speed weaps they need.)

They're in my PvP set. I can only assume SOMEONE at Blizzard agrees with dwing looking amazing, even on a typically ranged class.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Kalliope wrote:I can only assume SOMEONE at Blizzard agrees with dwing looking amazing, even on a typically ranged class.
I'm guessing axes fit in with the whole "surviving by themselves in the wild" type hunter aspect. Hatchets are great for such things.