Probably should be tameable
- The list of suggested tameables for Shadowlands is way too long for this post. Instead see the list on this page
- See also this separate list of Island Expeditions tame suggestions. I created a special list for these since IE is going to be soloable in 9.1.5
Should retain NPC name after taming
NOTE: the vast majority of pets from our suggestions list now retain their names. Thanks to whichever designer did all that. It's a load of work!
- There are a small number of NPCs that should probably be changed to retain their names when tamed. See this list
- Marsh Gulper in Tanaan is very tiny (critter sized) after taming.
- Perhaps also the Pit Snake in Vol'dun.
- Lalathin (121540) is tiny (critter-sized) before taming
- The new Ram (that used to be a critter) is also tiny before taming. Oddly it used to be beast sized and was only shrunk to critter size in Shadowlands.
- Hivax should be a Beast not a Humanoid. Note: this spider is in a apparently forgotten, section in remote south-east Maldraxxus (beyond the slime). It looks like an area that was started and then abandoned.
- Bilespray Lasher (121711) should be an Elemental not a Beast
- Glimmering Fey Dragon (82044) should be a Dragonkin not a Beast
- All the crystal scorpions are missing parts after they're tamed. The majority just lose their stinger, which is a significant thing to be missing. Skorpyron has extra features which are lost: some crystal scales on its back, and some crystal chelicerae / feelers. See this post for more information. I'm not sure if it can be fixed. Maybe the spells that add those model parts to the scorpions could be added to the appearance spell kit in creatureDisplayID, but just guessing about that, but it seems that other pets that use that feature for their effects seem to retain them after taming.
- One more of the hellhound appearances seems to have bugged particle (flame) colours and possibly belly flames. It's Blazeseeker, which uses display ID 86773. It's an orange hellhound, has its particle colour ID set to 452, which seems to be badly configured and is coming out pure white (as in completely lacking texture, not as in credible white flames). It seems plausible it was meant to be particle ID 1249, which is no flames at all, or 286, which is blue flames. It also uses the blue belly flame texture, which may be intended, but if so it's the only hellhound appearance to use a different colour belly to its main texture. Maybe it's intended, it just looks like a mistake.
- The following is a minipet, not a hunter pet, but I'm going to mention it anyway: “Twilight Clutch-Sister” has three appearances, but one has graphical issues. The bugged appearance is the one with display ID 79635, which is the darkest of the three. On this one the shoulder, apron, and tail spines all have the texture of body scales instead of their proper appearances, and due to lack of alpha mask they look blocky and strange. The reason is that display ID 79635 has its second texture configured to be the same as the first (file 359802 : creature/dragonspawn/dragonspawntwilightcaster_green1.blp), which is intended for most of the body. Instead, the second texture should be file 359803 (creature/dragonspawn/dragonspawntwilightcaster_green2.blp), which covers the extra details.
I'm unsure if these are fixed. Can anyone confirm?
- Some pterrordaxes (BfA model) stand unusually far back when they attack. Because of this their Stomp fails at hitting anything, because it's limited to 8 yards. Reference post: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=26248&start=20#p620209
- Same with at least some of the cloud serpents. Rei Lun and Azure Cloud Serpent have been reported as still doing this in Jan 2021. Ref: https://twitter.com/Moofzy/status/1315672384599478272
- Same with some dread ravens, such as Rukhmar (reported as still doing this in Jan 2021). Possibly also Rukhran and the Fel Ravens from Hellfire Citadel (carry over of BfA bug)
Perhaps shouldn't be tameable
- Dambala (167848) is a Loa and probably shouldn't be tameable (appears during a Night Fae quest). The Shadow of Dambala (173855) that it spawns have a unique look so if you make them also untameable it would be nice if that look was added elsewhere - it would be nice if this were done anyway since the look is currently Night Fae-only.
- Tsulong (62442) is something of a demi-god, or at least highly intelligent. Two other heavenly black cloud serpents are tameable, so we're not missing his look anyway.
- Nalak (69099) is also intelligent and talks, presumably due to magic. Unfortunately his look is unique.
- Elegon (60410) also talks, but he is a construct so it's different. Maybe he'd be better as a mechanical, though.
- Two tameable spiders in Maldraxxus are very talky and clearly not normal spiders: Sister Chelicerae (159886) and Soulfeaster Qilo (160566). The latter hasn't been seen in a while, so we're unsure if he's still in the game. His colour was unique and could be added to something else.
- The Prophet Tharon'ja (26632) is something of a demi-god and clearly intelligent. Loads of other tameable NPCs exist with the same look.
- Same with Shade of Hakkar (8440).
- Same with Rukhmar (83746), who is an intelligent god. There's already an alternative look for her skin.
- Same with Anzu (23035), really, and there is an alternative tameable for him already.
- Gorestained Piglets (135048) are actually people and turn back into humans when they die, so they probably shouldn't be tameable. Unfortunately the skin is unique but it could be given as a fourth skin option to Fallhaven Pigs (124170) (which seem to be actual pigs, but have been cursed so the skin fits).
- Maybe the same with the Da'kani gorillas: King Da'ka (130948), Da'kani Provocator (137840), Da'kani Highbrow (130954), and Da'kani Pugilist (130953), since they're as smart as we are and can talk. Though their intelligence was created artificially by Kajamite or something and perhaps they return to beasts after being taken off it. Still a bit horrible.