So Who Else Names Their Mounts?

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )

So Who Else Names Their Mounts?

Unread post by Quin »

Yes, I'm a role-player and I love giving my little pets and mounts names and personalities. :oops: Even my little mini-pets tend to have little stories and names of their own.

So, who else does this? Come on, I know some of you out there must have! :D
Quiniel Suncrier

Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!
Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: So Who Else Names Their Mounts?

Unread post by Gumballs »

I do, and I'm not even on an RP realm. But I'm a fantasy-nut, lore nerd and storyteller at heart, so all 112 mounts and 105 mini pets on my main (along with the various ones on my alts!) have names.

Some are fun names, like Poopers, my Swift Pink Hawkstrider or Pie my Green AQ Tank.

Other's are more serious names like Onyxien, Shade's Creation, my Onyx Netherdrake or Natural Seduction, my Great Brown Kodo.

And of course I have names that reference other things, like Leonidas, my Green Proto-Drake or Goku, my bronze drake.

A lot of my mini pets don't have names yet because I just stopped thinking about them. BUT, I will name them all eventually. Part of the fun in collecting is thinking of names in my opinion. ^_^
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
Dizzy
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Dizzy »

i name all of my mounts "Roy the Rapta"

even though only one is really a raptor :(
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I'm a roleplayer too but no one ever asked what my mounts name was.
So I never gave them names.

But, for example, my tauren warrior bought the brown codo on level 40. Naturally, I took the same color when I bought my level 50 mount, so it's the same beast, with and without armor.

I don't use minipets. Never have and never will. (As long as my account is cancelled, this is for sure. :lol:)

Only my hunters pets all have names. Ans serious names as well. Karathyriels companions have either elfish sounding names, like Gerethay, or names from where they come from. My wolf pet, that uses the wolfmount model, is called Logrim (reffering to Lo'Gosh, the ghost wolf, it means the furious wolf), as I got him as a present from the orcs when I was honored with the title "exalted".

But, I have to admit, I always wished we could name and target mounts.
Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )

Unread post by Quin »

I give them names, stories, and personalities mostly for my own pleasure. I work the name into role-play, such as if we're mounted, I emote my mount being restless. I will then have my character use its name to soothe it, or encourage it, or whatever the case might be. :)

I usually am not a 'mini-pet' person, though for some characters it suits them very well so they have one or two special ones.

I really wish we could name our mounts as well. That would be amazing. :D
Quiniel Suncrier

Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

The mounts that I use, I name and give background stories too. Only one mini pet has a name that I actually use.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I named my white ram Skippy. But I haven't named any others.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

My only named mount was my albino drake. His name was Jax.
Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

Some of my mounts have names and personalities, some don't. Since I'm at 92 out of 100 mounts, this is a good thing, at least for my sanity. ::grin::

I've written fanfic on getting a few of the ones that mean the most to me-- my first tourny raptor (I'd ALWAYS wanted a raptor; my belf never really adored her riding chicken -g-), the time-lost proto drake I ... erm... flew into (literally) who is a bit slow, but very sweet, and reminds me of an 8 week old mastiff puppy... my red, bronze and white drakes... and a few of the others.

I have stopped wondering where, exactly, Arisia is HOUSING all these mounts, and how she is paying to have them fed and cared for... that just began to boggle my mind. ::grin:: Considering how many of us are trying to hit the 100 level, I'd say Dalaran needs to be expanded another few MILES for all those darn stables. ;D
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

O.o When I get my Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher, I'll call her "Pinky" :mrgreen:

Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

Arisia wrote:Some of my mounts have names and personalities, some don't. Since I'm at 92 out of 100 mounts, this is a good thing, at least for my sanity. ::grin::

I've written fanfic on getting a few of the ones that mean the most to me-- my first tourny raptor (I'd ALWAYS wanted a raptor; my belf never really adored her riding chicken -g-), the time-lost proto drake I ... erm... flew into (literally) who is a bit slow, but very sweet, and reminds me of an 8 week old mastiff puppy... my red, bronze and white drakes... and a few of the others.

I have stopped wondering where, exactly, Arisia is HOUSING all these mounts, and how she is paying to have them fed and cared for... that just began to boggle my mind. ::grin:: Considering how many of us are trying to hit the 100 level, I'd say Dalaran needs to be expanded another few MILES for all those darn stables. ;D
I've also written a series of one shots revolving around my favourite mounts and pets! Thats funny, I didn't really know anyone else who did that. ^_^

Also.. I think Gum (my collector) has a ranch over in Nagrand, cottages in Zangarmarsh, STV, Sholozar and the Barrens, and his apartment in Dalaran! The ranch is where most of his mounts reside, and he has hired cheap help to look after them, and as a bonus most can be free range fed!. ;)
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
Arkiss
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune

Unread post by Arkiss »

I name the vast majority of my 103 mounts and 111 minipets, much to my sanity's chagrin. Most of my special mounts and pets, the ones that involved tedious rep-grinds or blind luck, have serious names and I use them commonly in RP. I'm fortunate to be in a collection-friendly guild, and most of us tend to put as much effort into roleplaying our mounts and pets as we do ourselves.

The issue of "where are we keeping all these guys!?" has come up and at least for myself I found a solution: The Scryers, paragons of magic they are, paired with the Consortium to create a gateway to a stasis-realm where my ground mounts stay when I'm not using them. I tend to roleplay that my current flying mount circles above while I'm on the ground.

And in case you should wonder, and in case you should care...on that night of all nights, we were already there.

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Arisia »

Arkiss wrote:I name the vast majority of my 103 mounts and 111 minipets, much to my sanity's chagrin. Most of my special mounts and pets, the ones that involved tedious rep-grinds or blind luck, have serious names and I use them commonly in RP. I'm fortunate to be in a collection-friendly guild, and most of us tend to put as much effort into roleplaying our mounts and pets as we do ourselves.

The issue of "where are we keeping all these guys!?" has come up and at least for myself I found a solution: The Scryers, paragons of magic they are, paired with the Consortium to create a gateway to a stasis-realm where my ground mounts stay when I'm not using them. I tend to roleplay that my current flying mount circles above while I'm on the ground.
I like the Scryer idea, by the way! For Arisia, I had figured that she has bought, with her years of working (what we all term 'doing quests' -g-) an apartment in Dalaran with a huge courtyard and small stable. In the courtyard, she's built a place where her hunter 'friends' live until they get the mystical summons to come help her, along with the vanity pets that most often come to travel with her... the stable is where the mounts she uses most of the time dwell. The others are off with an aunt who lives near Silvermoon, and the mounts with intelligence (drakes, netherdrakes, celestial steed, etc) have apartments in her guildhouse so that they can come when she needs them.

I know, it's highly unlikely, if you consider the size, but it works for me and my wee bits of writing :D
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

There'd be enough room in Dalaran for two people with houses like that. xD

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Noor
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune

Unread post by Noor »

I used to... but I have stopped. I had named my paladin's mount after a friend from EQ2, because he was a tank and a loyal friend. (Or so I thought) Turns out he was a pedophile, and since then, I just can't bear myself to name anything, anymore... :shock:
Noor, Level 80 Blood Elf Hunter
And a few other characters
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

I named all of them until i started getting too many. Now I only name the ones I use on a regular basis; my favorites as it were.

My favorite is still probably Drumstick, my BE Rogue's hawkstrider. That one has a personality; Saor (the rogue) found hawkstriders rather unroguey (or unmanly ) and only bought one because he needed the transportation. He claimed that it would probably make good eating if he ever got stranded somewhere without food, thus, Drumstick. Drumstick seemed to pick up on the negative feelings and constantly pecks, prods, kicks, and bucks Saor off as a result. :P

In later months they've come to appreciate each other more, though. Now it's friendly use of the eating threat, and play-bites, XD.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Arisia »

Saturo wrote:There'd be enough room in Dalaran for two people with houses like that. xD
Meh, if you go all literal like that, there isn't room for all the people milling AROUND Dalaran on a daily basis, and the weight of all the homeless crowds and mounts would wear out ANY spell, causing the city to crash to the ground. Orgrimar, Silvermoon, Stormwind-- all of them; in game you can run nearly anywhere in the entire city in seconds... if this was true to the possible scale of what a city would need to be, people must sleep standing up, shoulder to shoulder all the time, and the strain on the sewer system would be... well, let's say that fishing there would be a no no. Not to mention the physical needs for a trash area, cemetery, etc etc etc...

I tend to think of the roads our toons use as the *main* roads of each city, with side streets available that you just don't use in game, but which exist in your imagination, as it were. If you RP, your toon has a place to live, whether bought, rented, or hired by the night. That's more what I was getting at in my description. If you prefer to use a pocket dimension, or not to think of it at all, your mileage obviously varies. I want my toon to have a small area of her own, and that was how I visualized it; since she is not a mage, it'd have to be IN Dal since she is there when I log in. That's all. :)
Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

Rayd lives in a room in Cantrips & Crows - one small, two-person room - with a riding drake (Lady Epidormi, who sometimes takes raptor form to conserve space), a stormsaber (Stormfront, Drassil's saber, who is an easily annoyed cat who eats mostly fish because Rayd is a fisherman), a zombie horse (Bonecruncher, who belongs to death knight Mockingbirds, and used to be her mount before she was killed in a scarlet crusade raid and reborn, and was then the horse she killed and recaptured), and a Kodo (Smashed, a rather brain-dead young Kodo who really likes booze). And of course, Drassil (who always remains in flight form to save room), Mockingbirds herself, and Mockingbirds' zombie crocodile Ratslayer (who sleeps out in the water and is actually a ghoul but let's pretend it's a zombie croc, she was a former hunter :/). It's very crowded, so Rayd has a tendency to leash them outside and leave Paranoia, her wolf, to guard them.

Yup. I name my mounts. Epidormi, Stormfront, Smashed, Bonecruncher.

Kryte
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Kryte »

I name some of them, but not all, since I try to keep it to my characters only having one or two (the second is the flier) mounts for roleplay. I'll collect others simply for myself, but they don't usually get names. I just can't justify so many mounts milling around with no real way for my characters to house and feed them.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

I don't, but if they enable such a feature I most certainly would
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net