Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

User avatar
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: is secretly a pickle
Location: Columbus, OH

Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Jangalian »

Ok, here's a quick and easy to do tutorial I made for anyone who wants to make an octopus hotdog.

You will need -
hotdog (one dog will make 2 octo-dogs)
sharp knife
small skillet
butter
condiments

We start with a hot dog.

Image

Next, take your sharp knife and slice it half.

Image

Now, make three diagonal cuts that go halfway up the hotdog, so that you have 'tentacles'.

Image
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
User avatar
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: is secretly a pickle
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Jangalian »

Next, take the skillet and put it on the stove. You'll want to use a small skillet so it limits the amount of butter you need to put in it. Add a small pat of butter.

Image

Heat on medium heat until the butter has melted. Now add your dogs, with plenty of space between them.

Image

As they cook, the skin on the dog will tighten and curl the 'tentacles' of your 'octopus', so you'll want to use tongs or a fork to turn them as they cook so that all sides are cooked to a nice golden brown.

Image
Image
Image
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
User avatar
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: is secretly a pickle
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Jangalian »

When the tops are done, stand them up on their 'tentacles' so that the bottoms will cook and force them to remain curled that way.

Image

When finished, remove them from the skillet, pat them on some paper towels to remove any excess butter, and you're done!

Image
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
User avatar
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 16439
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Vephriel »

Eee I've always wanted to try these. ^_^ Thanks Jang! :hug:
User avatar
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: is secretly a pickle
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Jangalian »

Np! =D There's a hot dog cutter that will make the cuts for you, but for the life of me, I couldn't find mine. There's also tulip, crab, penguin and Hello Kitty shapers too. It's a great way to make a plain old dog seem interesting, especially to kids. Also, great for bento boxes.

Edit - You can buy them here.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
User avatar
Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:38 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )
Gender: Female

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Quin »

That is super cute! :D
Quiniel Suncrier

Image
Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!
User avatar
Saturo
 
Posts: 18809
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Gender: Mortally impaired geekgirl
Location: My secret lair on Skullcrusher Mountain.

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Saturo »

Neat!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

User avatar
Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:38 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )
Gender: Female

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Quin »

I should try and make this for the kids. I bet they would get a kick out of it. They love hot dogs! :lol:
Quiniel Suncrier

Image
Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!
User avatar
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: is secretly a pickle
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Jangalian »

Use a ketchup bottle to add eyes. And a smile, if you're feeling daring.

Here's a note. If you're using the hot dogs that have a red casing, you can follow the cutting instructions and they will curl up when you boil them.

You can cook these for the kids if you're cooking fish and they don't like fish! That way, they can pretend to eat the tentacles off of a baby octopus! Nom nom nom! And the ketchup could be blood! Arrrgh tentacles! Man the torpedos! Bite that other tentacle off! It's defenseless! Nom!

...ahem. I played octo-dog with my nephew.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
User avatar
Kamalia
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3849
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:40 am
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary
Gender: Female
Location: The land of Tim Hortons and Loonies
Contact:

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Kamalia »

Jangalian wrote:Nom nom nom! And the ketchup could be blood! Arrrgh tentacles! Man the torpedos! Bite that other tentacle off! It's defenseless! Nom!

...ahem. I played octo-dog with my nephew.
:lol:
Thanks Jang! I'm definitely going to have to remember this if my little cousin ever comes over around lunch. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it!

Image

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

User avatar
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:03 am
Realm: Uldum
Gender: Im a Lumberjack and Im OK

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Epicfail »

I MUST MAKE THESE!!!!!!
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
User avatar
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:03 am
Realm: Uldum
Gender: Im a Lumberjack and Im OK

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by Epicfail »

I made these last night on the grill. They weren't as easy to do as their little legs kept getting stuck in the grill, but overall had a good experience making them. I'm going to probably make these every time the kids come over for a special treat. Truly an awesome idea.
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
User avatar
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 6474
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 am
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash
Gender: Female
Location: In the bushes watching. Always watching.

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Sorry to revive this but I've been making octo-dogs since this thread started and I love them! Such fun.

I also figured out what I was doing wrong. :oops: Used a little oil instead of butter. I'll use butter from now on or boil them.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
Image
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

User avatar
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2496
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 pm
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Re: Octo-dog tutorial, with picture! (not actual octopus)

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

No, revival is good, it means I see this topic :D

Must try this. Looks so adorably delicious.....:D

~VelkynKarma

Image

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>


A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Post Reply