Cataclysm being Rushed ?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.

Do you think Cataclysm is being Rushed ?

Yes
31%
No
24%
Maybe
41%
Unsure
3%

Total votes: 29

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Cataclysm being Rushed ?

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

The more bugs I hear coming from ptr and how even the early download of the current ptr build is bugged to crap makes me think there rushing Cataclysm. The PTR launcher itself says beta in the patch notes! Then you get the game (ptr) that randomly decides to go stupid and it forces you to re install the entire game (ptr). The same goes with them making you download and install the (ptr) game from zero just to able to download and install the newest patch ? That's stupid! I could kinda understand for beta but you would think for PTR they would fix it so you didn't have to do that. It's like asking you to re install wow vanilla and BC just install Lich King. Bad programing is what I think.

Some people even think this expansion could very well kill the game.

Last edited by Adam-Savage on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Re: Cataclysm being Rushed

Unread post by Bellatryx »

Beta/PTR isn't what the devs are working with right now.. they might be farther ahead of schedule than we think.

sixthdeammonfox
Realm: Earthenring

Unread post by sixthdeammonfox »

I see your point, but its not like Cata is coming out right after patch 4.0 it will be a couple more months after 4.0
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

sixthdeammonfox wrote:I see your point, but its not like Cata is coming out right after patch 4.0 it will be a couple more months after 4.0
I'm not seeing a early Nov release for the expansion. I would expect a late Nov/Early Dec. This is based on how buggy PTR is right now.

Here is a Blue Post that was linked to me via Twitter.
Valashe
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Valashe »

Blizzard never really rushes any of their ex-pacs or stand alone games for that matter. Being their own publisher and having Activision behind them means not having to worry about such things.

Queen of teh Squerlz!

View my stable!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

You do know its comeing out here in like Dec ?so i'm sure the Nov release for you yanks will change really.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:You do know its comeing out here in like Dec ?so i'm sure the Nov release for you yanks will change really.
There is no official release date as of yet. It's pure guess work at this point.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Re: Cataclysm being Rushed ?

well the site i have preorderd has one
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:well the site i have preorderd has one
They are simply guessing. This is to get your money now vs later. Do not rely on the sites for a release day. Blizzard has NOT officially announced a release date yet.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

eh anyway worry about it being rushed right niow is pretty silly when you think about it. Anyway least i knwo im getting the CE
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

It's still very early. 4.0 is coming but thats not Cata. That's just some in-game changes that will lead to cata. PTR isnt really something to go by. That's why its called PTR...to test it before it goes live. Just like Beta.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Parts of it seems like it's being rushed (ie worgen females) others seems like they're taking their sweet time with. Which I'm sure both is happening.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Valashe wrote:Blizzard never really rushes any of their ex-pacs or stand alone games for that matter. Being their own publisher and having Activision behind them means not having to worry about such things.
False. Activision behind them means that they are more or less forced to put out an expansion as soon as possible. Activision needs their money, y'know...

But yes, IMO, Cata is being rushed.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Wasn't BC's release delayed?

Until the expansion comes out, this is all speculation and guesswork. Hindsight will reveal how finished this thing really is at launch.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ebonrook
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US)

Unread post by Ebonrook »

Right now, most people (including myself) have reason to believe that Cataclysm will hit this year. I am guessing early December if only for the fact that I am rather sure that Activision-Blizzard does not want to miss out on the December holidays cash cow. Not to mention the fact that sales on products tend to be less in the early new year because people are still tapped from Christmas and what not. So while they could very easily have it come out next year, I don't think it will unless something really major prevents it.

Rushed? Maybe, but if they have a goal date in mind then I'd don't blame them on having to hussle. Do I think they're going to get around to, say, updating older player and NPC models? Nope. That might be done later in the expansion, but if they manage to do that now? Color me impressed.
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Saturo wrote:
Valashe wrote:Blizzard never really rushes any of their ex-pacs or stand alone games for that matter. Being their own publisher and having Activision behind them means not having to worry about such things.
False. Activision behind them means that they are more or less forced to put out an expansion as soon as possible. Activision needs their money, y'know...

But yes, IMO, Cata is being rushed.

I don't think so. Blizzard is a massive massive massive cash cow. 11.5 million people. At $15 a month. Every month. (( and yes I know there are countries where it's not monthly. I'm simplifying to make a point.)) Add in Box sales. Take out some for the servers. Take out some for Development. You're still looking at what over 100 million in profit every month?

They don't have to rush it. They dominate the market and noone is even remotely, close to them in market share, numbers or success. Noone's knockin' at the door threatening to take their numbers. Yes there's mmo's coming out every month but no threats are on the horizon.

Blizzard has gone by a firm policy regarding releases since day one. "You'll get it, when it's Ready"

As for the release. I'm betting Earily Nov. The way Wow is set up. They don't have to ship 100% content at launch. They can add in as they go and work.

They anounce Release date at Blizzcon.

They release second week in November.

Game sales skyrocket for the launch and first week.
Die down a bit.

Then the holiday hits.

BLACK FRIDAY DEALS ON CAT.

BOOOOOOOOOOM Huge bump again.

Stuff gets settled in.

Then Christmas.

BOOM again.

Do I think it's being rushed? No. Do I think they've had ALOT of this stuff ready for a WHILE? yes... Do I think.. blizzard is smart enough to ration the stuff they show us? yes.

If they have 100 new things to try out. And know when they're hitting release, they can schedule when they let you try the first 20. When they let you try the second 20. The third 20.. the fourth.. the last.

It's not like they're sitting there sweating bullets and putting in 100 hour work weeks. They're rationing what they give us over the period ramping up to release date.

Itana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Itana »

I think they are rushing it to a certain extent. And they are right to do so. A lot of people I know are really running out of things to do in the game (including me). And if you take some time off, there's no guarantee you'll be back after a long break. So they are probably looking for some balance here to not release something that's clearly not done, and not to wait forever for everything to be perfect.
As for people who say the expansion will ruin the game - that's been said about every expansion so far. :)
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

AdamSavage wrote: Some people even think this expansion could very well kill the game.
Yet I would bet that those same people will continue to keep their subscription active and still play 20+ hours a week

I agree with Itana there too.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Dare
Realm: Borean Tundra

Unread post by Dare »

Well it really depends. The Blizzard employees are constantly working to fix the bugs and whatnot, and since they are a large corporation, I imagine their tec team is vast. November is a solid month and then some, and with the amount thats been fixed/changed already, it is a real possibility.

However.

Balancing still seems to be an issue. Many classes are receiving major overhauls each patch (poor paladins), and there are still many skills in general that are broken. That on top of quest and world bugs, it seems like a long haul to fix em.

I'm saying maybe. Just maybe.

Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

Oi, Cataclysm will not "kill this game". I agree with what Itana said. And 4.0 will be around just 1 month before the Cataclysm expansion comes out (based on Wrath of the Lich King). Simple. As far as I care, woot, it is coming out some time in November.
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!