Human or Tauren

Steele10

Human or Tauren

Unread post by Steele10 »

I'm starting world of Warcraft and I was wondering if I should be a human or Tauren. I like the human warlock and I like the Tauren Druid which is better?
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Human or Tauren

Unread post by Vephriel »

It's all up to you, pick the race that you like the most and whatever class sounds the best playstyle for you.

How do you like to play usually? Do you enjoy standing back and doing ranged damaged, do you prefer to be right up there slashing them with swords, do you like versatility, survivability, healing?

No one can choose better than yourself. :)
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

-Demonic whisper- Drrrrruuuuuiiiiiiiiidddddddd...

Personally, I like druids more than warlocks, but it's mostly cause of my hate towards cloth wearers. You might want to wait till someone who isn't so biased can help. :x

But just a major point to remember:

Warlocks = DPS
Druids = Healer, Tank, DPS (And some even at the same time!)

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Unread post by Jakkra »

I'm also biased since my first and favorite character was/is a Tauren druid.

I will, however, say that it's a lot to take in at first, if you're a first time character. However, you can solo most things, and you can easily switch from dps, to tank, to healing if you need to. Being able to fulfill many roles while questing is just awesome.

I do enjoy playing as a warlock, also, but they're just pure dps. ((plus I'm not really crazy about casting or cloth wearers.

So, it depends on what you enjoy playing as the most and your own preferences. Druid is just my opinion, through experience. But then, my preferences may be different than yours, so really, it's up to you xD
Talody
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Talody »

I've enjoyed playing both warlocks and druids, so I really can't help you in choosing between the two, I like them both. :) My suggestion is to try them both out for a few levels and see which one you enjoy the most.

Just be aware, druids can seem a bit slow (and boring) until you reach level 10 and can finally get bear form. Then the fun really begins. :D

Dragons!
Jandos of <Petopians>
with
Truffle and Glasgow

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Druid is a bit slow, but I think it's also a good intro to other classes bit. My first char was a druid, and I enjoyed it well enough. Then I got Cat Form at level 20 and really, really enjoyed it. I discovered that Cat Form was basically a simpler version of Rogue, so I decided to play the rogue class, and BAM! Loved it. Never went back XD

Druid is obviously its own class, but it can also give you a rough idea of what the Warrior and Rogue classes are like, as well as managing healing, and maybe even a little understanding of nuking as a mage in boomkin form.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Kamalia
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

I personally favor the more exotic races. I think, "Now, why would I play something I am every day, when I have the choice to be something cool!"
Of course, that's just me.
There is no "better" - you play what you enjoy playing. :) Like Talody suggested, try rolling both and playing each for a bit, just to see how you like it. It might take more time, yes, but it's probably the best way to find out which you prefer.

And don't forget, there is always the wonderful option of having more than one character if you happen to change you mind later on! :D

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Steele10

Thanks for the replies. I also wanted to know could a Druid beat a warlock and which is more effective in pvp?
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Every class can beat every class.
It's the players skill that counts.

For the race choice, I'd ask you: Would you rather play alliance or horde?
That should put an end to your race choice.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Druids are one of the most fun classes to play because of their versatility and Taurens are a blast. I have a lvl 67 Tauren Balance Druid. Warlocks are also lots of fun but I have played a 'Lock on both sides, Alliance and Horde, Human and Undead, and the Undead 'Lock is not only more fun but actually has it easier getting his minions. The Human quests to get them are a lot harder. Also Human 'Locks are not fully accepted by the rest of the race because they consort with demons so they have to hide their training centers in basements and such. Undead fit the Warlock class much better in my opinion but if you want an Alliance one, try a Gnome. Gnomes make some of the best casters in the game. I personally favor the Undead though because they are so much fun to play and their quest lines and NpC's are frequently hilarious.

I am planning on deleting my Human 'Lock when Cataclysm hits and restarting him as a Worgen. I can always say he caught the curse :-)
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

Honestly most of my toons are alliance (mostly because of IRL friends on alliance side >.<) but I enjoy Horde side ALOT more. I don't know if it's just me but it seems like there is less griefing, gold spammers/farmers, and a higher maturity level on horde side. I've even got a few friends to faction change. :headbang:
We don't die. We multiply.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Dulanie wrote:I don't know if it's just me but it seems like there is less griefing, gold spammers/farmers, and a higher maturity level on horde side. I've even got a few friends to faction change. :headbang:
Now I'm not trying to start up a faction war, but I have to agree with Dulanie on this one.

There's the general stereotype that Alliance have a lot of the younger player base, and though there's obviously a lot of great people on that side, the stereotype really seems to fit from my own experience.

I have rolled Alliance alts on quite a number of different servers (whether it was because of friends or boredom), and every single time I have encountered some of the most immature and horrid players I've met in game. Sure there's idiots on the Horde side too, but overall I never have the griefing or stupidity problems that I see on Alliance.

So that's one thing to keep in mind as well. Again, this is all just my own personal experience.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Aye, I too agree here. Having played both sides, mostly alli tough due to friends and the fact that my raiding chars are Alliance, I have noticed this extremely. On the alli side you get "idiot its faster to write like this", while on Horde it's more of "I really like how you use capital letters. It's really cool.".

Anyhow, the age gap is obvious.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

Human Warlock and Tauren druid actually don't make great starting characters in my opinion. If you've played MMOs before and understand the pet-tank mechanic, then its a lot easier to get going. Druids are also kind of a crazy one to make your first char because it can be so many things, but it goes through an identity crisis as you start one up. First your a caster/healer, then a warrior, then a rogue - which you will stay probably till 80, unless you prefer to stay spellcaster, but even that may take a while to really get the hang of.

If you are starting your first character, I would suggest Warrior or Rogue if you like to melee and probably hunter if you like ranged. Once you get used to the play style and start to see different aspects of the endgame (level 80) that you really prefer, you can start over or make an alt based on where your interest truly is.

I'll tell you from my experience, choose horde and choose the racial that looks best to you. If Orc get more damage done by pets, but you just don't like the way they move, cast or the fact they are green? Not for you. And... try to stay to your own gender unless thats just your thing... I know the reasons for rolling a girl instead of a guy, but nothing beats a character you can identify with.... and as a guy that should count out all females and possibly blood elf males. I rolled BE male (most recently) because it fit the name and he's got the best feign death animation....

Post more about what youre looking for and we can help you focus better.
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Do both. You can have up to ten chars on any single realm. Then see what one you like more. You'll never know what is best for you until you try everything.

My first char was a druid and he'd been my main since. You won't know til you try, but think of it as would you like to have demon pets or become different animals. Don't go by what will do more damage or anything like that because its constantly changing. With a druid you'd have more flexibility with what role you could play, but with a warlock you'd get to summon other players and become a demon for a short time.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Bulletdance wrote:Do both.

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

My experience as far as age goes is that there are more people in the middle age brackets (25-45) on the Horde side, and more in the brackets both below and above the middle on Alliance. I find a lot more people closer to my age (almost 62) on the Alliance side. There also is an awful lot of immaturity that goes on in trade and general chat on the Horde side as well as on Alliance. Barrens chat has always been notorious for it.

As far as quality of players, I haven't noticed much difference except in PvP where Horde almost always holds an edge. As I am a dedicated end game raider, the PvP stuff is just there for a change of pace and I only do the BG's. I have never done an Arena in my life. I also enjoy leveling and questing so reaching the highest level in an expansion and running out of new quests to do and new areas to explore is always somewhat of a let down. That's when I get back into raiding.
Jakjak
Realm: The Scryers

Unread post by Jakjak »

Danielfboone wrote:I am planning on deleting my Human 'Lock when Cataclysm hits and restarting him as a Worgen. I can always say he caught the curse :-)
I hadn't heard we'd be getting Worgen *squeal* :headbang: Will that be a race choice, or an alteration like DK?

Even though I have to turn off Trade in nearly every city, I've noticed the same Allies=younger/Horde=older stereotype. I've also noticed that it's more common to see attackers in the orc/troll starting area (and Crossroads of course) than in Goldshire or the human starting area, at least on my server. I mean, Goldshire gets hit once in a while, but waiting for your questgiver to rez in Crossroads is just an everyday thing. The other pre-20 areas are harder to access, and more often than not, when I've seen a Hordie in Teldrassil, they're there to train and freak out the night elves.

And I might give blood elf another shot, just to see his Feign....

On topic: my first was a Tauren druid, but I had trouble figuring out what to do. Warrior and hunter were easier because it was just hit with pointy thing or shoot arrows -- after I got familiar with the game however, I tried casters, and found that I like warlock because I like having a pet. Have as yet to try druid again.

Oh, and another thing I've noticed is that humans run funny, while taurens seem slower -- not sure if they really are, or it's just that HUGE area they have, but running between towns feels like it takes longer. And environment might make a difference: do you prefer rolling plains or forests?
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I hadn't heard we'd be getting Worgen *squeal* Will that be a race choice, or an alteration like DK?

In Cataclysm, the Alliance is getting the Worgen as a new playable race and the Horde is getting Goblins.
Steele10

I'm kind of young but I'm not retarded and immature I started a Tauren Druid and it's going pretty good. The only thing I don't like about being a Tauren is that I can't find a weapon trainer. Does anyone know where the nearest weapon trainer is near bloodhoof village?