Good shammy solo leveling build?

Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Good shammy solo leveling build?

Unread post by Skyshot »

So today I rolled my first shaman alt and just hit 10 a while ago. I wonder now what way I should go talent tree wise for a solo leveling build.
Anyone of you happen to know a good shammy spec that will last me to 80 on my own? :)
Also any shaman tips (totems, gear, and all that jazz) would be appreciated considering this is my first time playing the class.

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Re: Good shammy solo leveling build?

Unread post by Zangor »

from what i hear enhancement is the best spec to level in
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I'd recommend waiting with Enhancement until level 40 (?) when you can spec into dualwield. Until then it's boring as hell...

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Enhancement is your best leveling build. Elemental is too vulnerable and Resto is too slow.
As for gear, if you are going Enhancement, basically pretend you're gearing as a Hunter, but a Hunter that really likes Haste. So AGI, Haste, Crit, AP, ArPen are what you're after, but STR is good too and you want the most Armour you can get since you'll be hit a lot.

It has been a long time since my Shaman was Enhancement (he's Elemental/Resto now), but I remember the best part of Enhancement was that it was very cathartic as you're in melee blowing the heck out of stuff with both spells and flailing weapons. Very satisfying, especially if you're an Orc and pop Blood Fury, and when Bloodlust is on, oh it's fun.
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Actually, ArPen is really a bad stat for shammies. Other than that, yeah, you're basically gearing a haste-lovin' hunter. :)

This is the spec I'm going with to level my shammy (found on bighitbox.com, a great site for shammy (and other melee class) information!). I started out as elemental because I thought I'd prefer to pewpew from range, but man... not fun at all. Shammies are made to get in there and whack with their weapons. :D (My opinion, of course, ymmv)

If you want to go elemental, something like this spec might work for you. It's the one I intended to use until I switched to enhance.

Side note: once you can access lfg, resto is a viable option. I dual specced resto at level 45, and I haven't looked back. I'm having a ton of fun, I get to practice shammy healing (which I want to do at 80 anyway) and I'm getting dungeons right away. And if I get tired of it or get a group that's all "L2HEAL STUPID LOLOLOL", I'll just queue as dps for a bit. Win-win. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

The Enhancement Shaman in my raid group speaks well of ArPen and puts up some solid DPS. I'll ask him about it though.

You are very correct that the LFG tool is fantastic for leveling with Resto, you get groups so much faster than as DPS. But Resto is still a pain to quest with, though not nearly as bad as it was back in TBC.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Anansi wrote:The Enhancement Shaman in my raid group speaks well of ArPen and puts up some solid DPS. I'll ask him about it though.
Hmm. Everything I've read says to avoid it as much as possible.
Anansi wrote:You are very correct that the LFG tool is fantastic for leveling with Resto, you get groups so much faster than as DPS. But Resto is still a pain to quest with, though not nearly as bad as it was back in TBC.
Haha yeah, that's why I dualed. I just wanted to put the option out there. For example, I'm debating whether to spec my baby priest holy and level her 100% through dungeons, since I'm in no particular hurry to level her and it'd be fun. *shrug* To each their own. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

I levelled my shaman as elemental.

This is the "norm" elemental spec for PvE here: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?shaman# ... ,k9U,11403

Of course, I put the fire nova talent in for quite a bit more AoE DPS. You could take those out though and put them into Convection if you wanted.