How to tame the Oil Stained Wolf after 4.0.1 video

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zeilla8
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ravenholdt EU

How to tame the Oil Stained Wolf after 4.0.1 video

Unread post by Zeilla8 »

I added some more footage to my 'how to' video on getting this pet. If you are around lvl 72, you'll want to use the 'throw trap' method. If you are 80 and have some decent haste, I find the method shown around 3:40 to be the most efficient. I'm sure there are still other ways to tame this pet, it's all in the timing. Hope this helps some ppl out there wanting to get this loveable, but dirty wolf. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOJfZpdg5Mo

WoW Hunter vids, Vlogs and Cooking!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeilla8
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: How to tame the Oil Stained Wolf after 4.0.1 video

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ooh. This should be stickied.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bloodmoon_Medivh
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Bloodmoon_Medivh »

Just did this tonight and it does work. You may need to log out and back in to see them if done correctly. I ended up taming 2 of them because they werent showing up in my call pet fold out. Logged out and back in and now I have 2. :) Thanks!
Kyonarai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stonemaul

Unread post by Kyonarai »

And I'm the one that originally figured out how to tame them, in case you were wondering.

/pats Voidrage
Special thanks to Ket-shi!
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Kyonarai wrote:And I'm the one that originally figured out how to tame them, in case you were wondering.

/pats Voidrage
In case either of you missed it, you both got plugs on Mania's blog. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

mascarecrow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Uther

Unread post by mascarecrow »

You apparently have to log out to get it. The video helped tremendously, TY!

Timing was a pita and at one point I tried to tame another after a fail and was told I already controlled a pet. Checked the stable and only had the cat in there. Summoned and dismissed the pet, figured it was a bug and kept at it. Couple of minutes later it bugged again and said I controlled a pet when I'd just seen it fail and my bag still only had the cat in it. Took a chance and logged out and my character screen had a gray wolf on it. Logged back in and had two oily pretties in my bag keeping my cat company. Stuck one in the bank in case it rains one day and my oil washes off!

Happy Hunting!
Revynn
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Revynn »

Getting this guy would require a faction change or at least leveling a DK on my friends account. Has it been confirmed that he survives the transfer to Beta and will still have the oily look in Cataclysm?

Edit: ignore me. I watched the video again and caught the part at the very end about him transferring over properly. Seems I missed that part the first time.

Guildor
Realm: Lothar

Unread post by Guildor »

So I've been trying this for a while now, I keep getting the tame to finish just as they disappear yet they're always the grey. Is the frost trap needed, or can I just time it from when they first become neutral?

Edit: So a few tries after I posted I got " you already control too many pets" message. You do not have to trap them. My timing was better if I waited about 2 sec after they stopped running and started taming then. (9sec tame for me)
Xanthin
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Xanthin »

Just id this.. as did a buddy of mine (thanks fo the video)

The trap is not needed it just prolongs the time when he despawns... the trick is:

The Quest person throws the food... the worg runs to the quest person.

The Stops... start counting when he stops... depending on your gaste.. wait to a count of 1 to 2 secs then start taming... If you are late.. start a little early.. if you are early and get the grey pet... start a little later...

Took me 5 tries and my bud 7...
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Just so people know, the majority of this video was made BEFORE 4.0.1, so the trapping and timing is different later in the video than it is earlier in the video. (And this is explicitly noted in the vid!)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

Hey! A friend of mine just told me that she's been unable to call her oil stained wolf out. I do not own the pet, but has anyone else ran into this problem recently?
Jroaeyl
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Jroaeyl »

erwil wrote:Hey! A friend of mine just told me that she's been unable to call her oil stained wolf out. I do not own the pet, but has anyone else ran into this problem recently?
Still fine from my end. (I've trained it after 4.01 and have never been in an Arena, if that matters.)
Tybudd
Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Tybudd »

OK, I do apologize, but I'm 1 of few for some reason, I can't view the vid on youtube, it seems to lock up on my. Can someone be kind enough to tell me:
1. What quest does this?
2. If the quest was done already does it mean that I'm screwed and can't do it?
3. And what exactly is being done on this video that you speak of?

The only Oil-Stained wolf that I can think of is the ones in Borean Tundra where that 1 crash site was, is that the one?

Edit:

Aw crap, I just got word that you have to have an alliance quest for this, so this means that it isn't possible for a Horde toon to get it??
Isabeau
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Isabeau »

Thanks a bunch for the video. My husband and me both just tamed him today! So lovely. I hope we get to keep his look! I appreciate the video a ton but I found it very confusing to follow exactly what you did do. Mostly I just had to have the person throw the meat and as soon as he started eating (turned neutral) started taming. It seems there is a very tiny window of getting it perfect lol

For both of us once we got him it seemed like we didn't and he did not show up in our call pet. When we went to tame again it said we already had a pet. We had to relog for him to show up.
erwil wrote:Hey! A friend of mine just told me that she's been unable to call her oil stained wolf out. I do not own the pet, but has anyone else ran into this problem recently?
Both my husband and myself could not call him out right after taming. We had to relog before we could.

Tybudd wrote:OK, I do apologize, but I'm 1 of few for some reason, I can't view the vid on youtube, it seems to lock up on my. Can someone be kind enough to tell me:
1. What quest does this?
2. If the quest was done already does it mean that I'm screwed and can't do it?
3. And what exactly is being done on this video that you speak of?

The only Oil-Stained wolf that I can think of is the ones in Borean Tundra where that 1 crash site was, is that the one?

Edit:

Aw crap, I just got word that you have to have an alliance quest for this, so this means that it isn't possible for a Horde toon to get it??
1. The name of the quest is Lupus Pupus http://www.wowhead.com/quest=11728
It is an alliance only quest. It begins Borean Tundra @ Fizzcrank Airsstrip. You need to do the first quests to collect the parts & perhaps teleport the gnomes back before you get the quest that sends you to talk to the questgiver: Iggy "Tailspin" Cogtoggle. He gives you one prequest: A Little Bit of Spice

2. ofcourse if you have already completed the quest u can not get it again.

As I said it is alliance. But if you have already completed it or u r horde then just get a friend to do the quest. Both my husband and myself had completed it on our hunters so we just used alts to help us. Have the other person get the quest/ throw the meat and you tame. If you are horde I would post on your realm forums asking for a helpful alliance.
Tybudd
Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Tybudd »

I'm not understanding what was the point and the benefit of using the freeze trap. Isn't the point to finish the tame right as the wolf finish eating?
1. Isn't that what causes teh wolf to "despawn".
2. So if you are putting it in a freeze trap, wouldn't that just prolongue the process of him getting to the meat to eat it?

Now with the strategy of not using the trap, the OP of the video said that with her hasted she starts the tame at 8.5 seconds, ok on the video when she got the tame she didnt' use a trap, so 8.5 seconds of what? Is there a countdown that can be shown to when the wolf is going to despawn?
First Edit:
Now I've made my attempts, I've gotten a tame right at the despawn, to the point that I didn't see the flash, but all of a sudden it says Pet level 77. But when I look in my call pet I do have a wolf, and its the grey 1.

My question is, is it for sure that it will show you that hey I have a pet, or each time I think it was too late I should relog to see?

Last Edit:

YAY!!! I got it, just what teh guy said above happened to me, I tried it, the pet despawned but I didn't get the message "unknown is level 77", then I checked my call pet, nothing was there. So I just tried to tame again, and I got the message that I already control a pet. So then I logged out, not "exit Game" and then on my login screen I saw taht there was a "grey" wolf, logged back in, called pet, and the most beautiful pretty black wolf comes by my side.

Oh yeah, did I mention Yay?
Gostosa
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by Gostosa »

Cheers for the post my fellow norwegian!
Gostosa/Doomhammer EU/Norway
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

just to let people know: this trick still works after 4.0.3. I just got myself an Exxon today. I don't know if I'll *keep* him, but the novelty was too much to pass up!
Come see Kurasu's stables!