Help picking a pet

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
TrickyNick
Realm: Whisperwind

Help picking a pet

Unread post by TrickyNick »

I'm a new hunter, and new to WoW.

My hunter is currently level 28 and I'm trying to find some pets. I mostly solo, and am looking for a pet with good DPS and one with good tank skills depending on where I am. But I'm also open to other suggestions as well.

Can anyone help?
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Help picking a pet

Unread post by Lisaara »

Well seems you're looking for a Tenacity pet if you want a tank but if you want higher dps, you want to go Ferocity.

Are there any class of pets you like such as Cat? Wolf? Bear? etc. Would help narrow it down. :3

here's a search in Petopia... Ferocity & Tenacity

I do also recommend getting NPCScan and SilverDragon if you plan on taming rares. :)

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

TrickyNick

Nothing specific, really. I wouldn't mind having something unique (among my friends anyways). Right now I have a cat and a turtle. my friends have the same along with a gorilla, wind serpent and a few others.

I figured I was looking for something in those two categories, but wondering about their stats I guess.

For the Ferocity one, I would like the one that has the best DPS, whether it's the cat, wolf, bear, etc.
For the Tenacity, I'd like one that has the defense, but can keep aggro. I tend to steal aggro from my turtle often, even without using special abilities.

Being at work at the moment, I'm unable to look at the links you sent me (it's blocked, but the forums aren't for some strange reason).
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Well the beauty of 4.0.1 is that there is no longer a "best pet." It's all about whatever pet that you personally click with, or the buffs/debuffs you prefer. For example, cats are pretty awesome because they offer a Horn of Winter/Strength of Earth totem type ability.

At your level, you really shouldn't be worrying about "best of the best" or anything like that anyway. So long as stuff dies and you don't, and you level, then everything's going as planned. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
TrickyNick

In that case, guess I'll stick with what I have. But I do want the Orange Tiger! Instead of the black one I have now. Got to love Bengle Tigers :)

How do I know what skill the pets have? or are they the same or what?
My friend who has the wind serpent told me that the different colors have different abilities.

This true? Would there be a difference in the cats too?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TrickyNick wrote:In that case, guess I'll stick with what I have. But I do want the Orange Tiger! Instead of the black one I have now. Got to love Bengle Tigers :)

How do I know what skill the pets have? or are they the same or what?
My friend who has the wind serpent told me that the different colors have different abilities.

This true? Would there be a difference in the cats too?
Not true at all. They're all the same abilities as that tree and species. So all cats have Roar of Courage. :)

LisaaraPokefarm

TrickyNick

Are there any pets on the ferocity class that can do better dps than the cats?

Also, when can I tame Elite? been reading the forums and I know I can't tame the ones being talked about, I wouldn't mind having one that not many have.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

You can tame any pet at or beneath your level, regardless of Elite tag.

But remember, Elite doesn't mean anything once the pet is tamed: all pets in any given family are identical (aside from appearance) after taming. So a common Cat, for example, will be just as good as the rarest elite Cat. The reason some of us strive for rares is either for the challenge of finding a hard-to-find (or subduing a hard-to-tame) pet, or to stand out from other hunters (and this often backfires, with hunters all using the same rares :lol: )

In the end, while leveling, just tame pets that you like. Browse Petopia's main galleries and check out each pet abilities when you're bored, and see if there's anything special you like, ability-wise. All pets are in a good place right now, very strong, so you won't have to worry about any pet you choose being weak, really :)

Edit: If you want something that stands out, as a low-level, my advice is to find a pet common to the enemy faction's area but not yours. For example, a low-level Horde leveling with a white worg, or an Alliance character with a brown lynx, tend to stand out!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

TrickyNick wrote:Are there any pets on the ferocity class that can do better dps than the cats?

Also, when can I tame Elite? been reading the forums and I know I can't tame the ones being talked about, I wouldn't mind having one that not many have.
Personally, I'd advise you to stop trying to look for a pet "better than other pets." At such low levels, your pet really doesn't contribute as much to your dps anyway because you don't have as many talent points for either yourself or it. If you really like the skin of a certain cat...Great! Tame it and use that cat. If you prefer the skin of a bear, use that instead.

I think you'll find that many of the people here at Petopia, including myself, all tame pets because we love them. It's not just "oh, pet A has higher dps than pet B so I only want to use Pet A." That's great for min/maxers, and maybe at max level, but being a hunter's so much more fun if you tame pets because you really like the way they move, look, sound, etc. If they happen to have a cool buff/debuff to go along with them, cool!

The introduction of 4.0.1 has brought us totally away from the "you must have a wolf/devilsaur to do great dps" mindset, which is so fabulous! I love seeing all the different varieties of hunter pets that people are walking around with now. :D
Seeing spirit beasts become viable as more than show pets makes me incredibly happy.

If you want a pet that will just provide you with solid dps, I'd suggest something within the ferocity or cunning tree, from my understanding, some of the cunning pets are catching up to ferocity in dps (I could be wrong though). If you play your cards right, you can use a ferocity pet like a tank pet, but generally tenacities are the best way to go for a tank. I say tame whatever pet YOU want to use, however, if you'd like some actual suggestions, I'll go sift through Petopia and see what I can find for your level, granted, everyone's opinions on the "best pet" differ. Hope we've managed to help you in some way. :hug:

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
TrickyNick

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
TrickyNick wrote:Are there any pets on the ferocity class that can do better dps than the cats?

Personally, I'd advise you to stop trying to look for a pet "better than other pets." At such low levels, your pet really doesn't contribute as much to your dps anyway because you don't have as many talent points for either yourself or it. If you really like the skin of a certain cat...Great! Tame it and use that cat. If you prefer the skin of a bear, use that instead.
Seems that this is the prevailing answer. I've already given up looking for better than other pets and now looking for something ... different than my friends.

There is one that has struck my as "I want to have it" is the Orange Tiger...cause it looks like a real life Tiger..the Bengle tiger. But I did only look at the cats section. I can't look while I am at work, but will take some time when I get home and look more. I might go after the rare (not sure if elite or not) that is in the barrens. Forget the name. Not the lioness.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

There's a few tamable rares in the barrens, if we're including more than just cats that is. There's:
*Humar the Pridelord, a very handsome black lion who spawns just above Ratchet
*Dishu, cat model that looks like druid's travel form (she has multiple spawns I believe and she's one I usually just sort of stumble upon)
*Azzere (sp), a red wind serpent
*Snort the Heckler, a purple hyena

The orange tigers are very pretty. I'm not a fan of that cat model (if they put them on a mount model, I'd be all over them :lol: ), but they look quite striking next to some hunters, especially trolls. XD And there's some low level ones over on Echo Isles (easy if you're Horde, bit of a trek for Alliance. :( ).

If you specifically want a ferocity pet, I'd recommend a cat, wolf, or raptor (again, my opinions) for your level. I personally feel that most of the tenacity pets don't have any real tank feel (judging by ability here, and my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. :) ) other than bears and turtles (worms too, but they're exotic). If you intend to pvp at all, I prefer pets that make kiting easier so I'd recommend a crab or spider.

Hope this helps. ^_^

[/center]
Arkiss
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune

Unread post by Arkiss »

Some critters have unique skins without being rares, so be sure to check out the Petopia section on "unique looks" if you're intent on finding something truly out of the ordinary. If the skin doesn't matter but the species does, these are some of the rarer pets wandering around SoE:

FEROCITY
- Moths
- Tallstriders
- Carrion birds

TENACITY
- Crocolisks
- Scorpids

CUNNING
- Dragonhawks
- Serpents
- Ravagers

And in case you should wonder, and in case you should care...on that night of all nights, we were already there.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:

I think you'll find that many of the people here at Petopia, including myself, all tame pets because we love them. It's not just "oh, pet A has higher dps than pet B so I only want to use Pet A." That's great for min/maxers, and maybe at max level, but being a hunter's so much more fun if you tame pets because you really like the way they move, look, sound, etc. If they happen to have a cool buff/debuff to go along with them, cool!

The introduction of 4.0.1 has brought us totally away from the "you must have a wolf/devilsaur to do great dps" mindset, which is so fabulous! I love seeing all the different varieties of hunter pets that people are walking around with now. :D
Seeing spirit beasts become viable as more than show pets makes me incredibly happy.

If you want a pet that will just provide you with solid dps, I'd suggest something within the ferocity or cunning tree, from my understanding, some of the cunning pets are catching up to ferocity in dps (I could be wrong though). If you play your cards right, you can use a ferocity pet like a tank pet, but generally tenacities are the best way to go for a tank. I say tame whatever pet YOU want to use, however, if you'd like some actual suggestions, I'll go sift through Petopia and see what I can find for your level, granted, everyone's opinions on the "best pet" differ. Hope we've managed to help you in some way. :hug:
Couldn't have said it better myself. :3

LisaaraPokefarm

Zaphoed
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Trollbane

Unread post by Zaphoed »

to help maximize your dps I would go with either a Cat, Raptor or ravager. Either of those three will help your dps out.
certain pets I would stay away from such as dragonhawk with increases Spell dmg taken. You are not a spell caster and thus don't care if the Lock can do more DMG.

Pets with a spell interrupt or increase dmg from bleed effect aren't that useful to the hunter. But if you like the look of the pet family then so be it your dps will not suffer all that much.

To solo and for tanking i would grab a Bear. Yes they lost swipe but they gained demoralizing shout. Which now means that the pet will be taking less overall dmg from all enemies. Just need to remember that Its not how fast they die but rather that you stay alive. So single target dps on the mob your pet is actively targeting.
I also love my Gorilla and Boar.

For instance on my ` key (next to the 1) I have my pet macro.
/cast hunter's Mark
/pet attack

You can add whatever other instant (non GCD) ability you want in there as well such as trinkets.
This is great for me cause I can switch target and know for sure my pet is attacking the same thing rather then 1 of the other 5 mobs attacking us.
Aotona - Trillian : Uhk'loc - Zarnywoop : Arcturis - Bandit / Loque'nahak - Ipos / Skoll - Raiju / Karoma - IkiUrufu / Ghostcrawler - Ocypode / Ghondria - Naberius : King Krush - Verin : Sambas - Valafar / Ashtail - Kitsune / Nuramoc - Euynome
TrickyNick

I have two macros to help...
First macro is same as you, and on the same key.

My next macro, is ALT+Scroll Wheel Up....
/assist pet
/use Serpents Sting (or what ever it's called)
/startattack

This way, once the first one is gone, and my pet is going after anotehr in the mob, I target his target.

ALT+Scroll Wheel Down = Mend Pet
jericho

Unread post by jericho »

As many people have said... in the new system there is no "best pet", but there are still "better pets" for each situation.

For solo leveling at 28 is too low to gain the one pet talent that makes your tenacity pet shine "Thunderstomp". You will have to wait until 44 for that. So while a tenacity pet's extra bit of armor/health are going to be kind of nice, they do not tremendously effect your ability to level. That being said, at 28, you are so lacking in talent points in general that all pet families are going to be pretty much the same in terms of viability.

At this point you are going to want to look at the pets that are going to enhance your personal damage via some sort of debuff or buff. That leaves Cats & Wolves doing the buffing of both pet and personal damage. While Raptors, Ravagers and Serpents give armor or damage taken debuffs to their target.

If you are looking for some "runner" control there is always Spiders and Crabs with a good macro you can use your pet to bind your target so he doesn't run off and link more things for you to fight.

In the end, its purely a personal preference. If you like your cat and your turtle, then go for it. Personally, I have used my White Wind Serpent that I had to camp out in Feralas way back in Vanilla all the way through til the present. Its wonderful that we don't have to use one pet over another purely cause its better dps. I just hope that we aren't continually pigeonholed into using the pet that gives the buff the raid lacks. (Damn I hate that annoying Core Hound.)