Sooo... Beetles still without an ability?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Araniis
Realm: Doomhammer

Sooo... Beetles still without an ability?

Unread post by Araniis »

While I know that poor Mania's been through hell in a hand basket lately and she's doing her best to catch up with all the Pet changes, there's one thing I've noticed that's made me worried. Beetles, one of our new pets, seems to be still without any ability to call their own. And while we are still in the beta, we've got only a month left, at most, before everything ships live.

So have I missed something and they have some super chocolatey awesome ability? Or are they still working through without one and we gotta hope that in the next month or so they get it?
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Sooo... Beetles still without an ability?

Unread post by Kalliope »

No one has posted that they've gained an ability of their own, so Petopia is still current on that front.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Malazee
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Malazee »

I'm trying my best to stay as current with the pet abilities as I can, given that I have no beta access... and as far as I can tell, neither Beetles nor Shale Spiders currently have a special ability. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the same ability for both of them, but for now, they have nothing.

Whatever it ends up being, I hope it's a new one... there's certainly lots of pretty standard raid buffs that have yet to be covered by hunter pets.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Yup, I just went through cata.wowhead.com for all the pet abilities, and there are still no Special Abilities listed for Beetles or Shalespiders. Curious what they will end up with though.
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

I have been looking at the list of buffs/debuffs etc. and I did wonder if the +armour buff, currently limited to pallies (Devotion? aura) and shamen (Stoneskin totem), might be a good beetle special, as they're fairly clanky. That would be useful as a group buff whilst also being a nice solo ability for a tenacity pet. Most of the other buffs are already heavily subscribed, but this one seems only of limited availability, especially as shamen might have better things to do with their earth totem.

If you like this, it's worth suggesting it if you're on beta.
Revynn
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Revynn »

The Insect Man wrote: Most of the other buffs are already heavily subscribed, but this one seems only of limited availability, especially as shamen might have better things to do with their earth totem.
From a PvE standpoint, not so much. They basically have Stoneskin (devo aura) and Strength of Earth (horn of winter, battle shout, Cats).

Not a bad idea though. Another possibility would be the 5% Crit debuff for groups without a Warlock or Fire Mage.

Araniis

Unread post by Araniis »

Malazee wrote:I'm trying my best to stay as current with the pet abilities as I can, given that I have no beta access... and as far as I can tell, neither Beetles nor Shale Spiders currently have a special ability. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the same ability for both of them, but for now, they have nothing.

Whatever it ends up being, I hope it's a new one... there's certainly lots of pretty standard raid buffs that have yet to be covered by hunter pets.
As far as I knew, Shale Spiders were giving the Kings/Wild buff, but that it was still a bit bugged on the Beta, showing up as 0%. I honestly rather not have them both have the same ability, especially since that would make the pets pretty much the same, where as so far most pet familys that's shared a buff/debuff among the breeds at the very least was a different spec, Like the Ravager and the Worm, for example. IIRC, only Fox/Tallstrider break this rule, and Unless Blizzard does something, Tallstriders aren't going to be used outside of leveling Tauren trying to get to 10.

And while the Devotion Aura seems like a good idea, especially considering how in most cases, Blizzard has been giving three classes the same ability or abilities in common with each other (Battle Shout, Horn of Winter, Roar of Courage for example) I'm not too much a fan of the ability. Never so much use to the armor added.
Malazee
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Malazee »

Araniis wrote:
Malazee wrote:I'm trying my best to stay as current with the pet abilities as I can, given that I have no beta access... and as far as I can tell, neither Beetles nor Shale Spiders currently have a special ability. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the same ability for both of them, but for now, they have nothing.

As far as I knew, Shale Spiders were giving the Kings/Wild buff, but that it was still a bit bugged on the Beta, showing up as 0%. I honestly rather not have them both have the same ability, especially since that would make the pets pretty much the same, where as so far most pet familys that's shared a buff/debuff among the breeds at the very least was a different spec, Like the Ravager and the Worm, for example. IIRC, only Fox/Tallstrider break this rule, and Unless Blizzard does something, Tallstriders aren't going to be used outside of leveling Tauren trying to get to 10.

And while the Devotion Aura seems like a good idea, especially considering how in most cases, Blizzard has been giving three classes the same ability or abilities in common with each other (Battle Shout, Horn of Winter, Roar of Courage for example) I'm not too much a fan of the ability. Never so much use to the armor added.
Embrace of the Shale Spider (5% stats) is the Shale Spiders' exotic ability. However, they are still missing their special ability. All exotic pets get one of each.

Personally I wouldn't mind them both having the same special ability (so long as it's a new one that none of the other pets have) just because one is exotic and the other is not. In fact, if they get a new buff/debuff that hunters don't already cover they will probably necessarily end up with the same one, since no other hunter pet has a unique special ability. And I can think of at least three abilities that are covered by pets from the same spec: Wolf/Devilsaur (5% crit), Cat/Spirit Beast (Str/Agi), and Dragonhawk/Windserpent (8% Spell Damage). If beetles and shale spiders end up having different abilities it will be because they've been given abilities other hunter pets already have, and I don't think I'd want to see that since they're both tenacity pets and so won't see much use.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

It would be cool if beetles got burrow...
Araniis

Unread post by Araniis »

Malazee wrote:Embrace of the Shale Spider (5% stats) is the Shale Spiders' exotic ability. However, they are still missing their special ability. All exotic pets get one of each.

Personally I wouldn't mind them both having the same special ability (so long as it's a new one that none of the other pets have) just because one is exotic and the other is not. In fact, if they get a new buff/debuff that hunters don't already cover they will probably necessarily end up with the same one, since no other hunter pet has a unique special ability. And I can think of at least three abilities that are covered by pets from the same spec: Wolf/Devilsaur (5% crit), Cat/Spirit Beast (Str/Agi), and Dragonhawk/Windserpent (8% Spell Damage). If beetles and shale spiders end up having different abilities it will be because they've been given abilities other hunter pets already have, and I don't think I'd want to see that since they're both tenacity pets and so won't see much use.
Ah, I see what you mean now as far as the Shale Spiders go. I'll laugh my ass off it they give the Shale Spider the Web ability just cuz it's a 'Spider', though I'm honestly hoping for something different. Beta is Beta, and while we've only got a month left, I'm sure we'll see those pets given SOMETHING.

And out of the examples you gave, I really only count the DragonHawk/Windserpents as being exactly the same, since the other two are exotics and thus have another ability. It actually makes me question why, since clearly the other abilities are spread about so that you have the option of spec, why are the only pets that give us increased spell damage are given to the PVP-esqe pets?
Worba wrote:It would be cool if beetles got burrow...
Fitting, perhaps, but i HIGHLY doubt blizz is going to give a damaging ability to a non exotic pet. As it is, the only reason I think they even gave Burrow and Frost storm to the Worm/Chimera is because otherwise BM doesn't really have any good forms of AOE. Survival and Marksman get boost to their AOE abilities, and BM does it through their pets (especially with the BIG boost Worms got to their AOE in the beta). Of course, with the change in gameplay for Catat, we'll probably be seeing less AOE overall.
Malazee
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Malazee »

Araniis wrote:Ah, I see what you mean now as far as the Shale Spiders go. I'll laugh my ass off it they give the Shale Spider the Web ability just cuz it's a 'Spider', though I'm honestly hoping for something different. Beta is Beta, and while we've only got a month left, I'm sure we'll see those pets given SOMETHING.

And out of the examples you gave, I really only count the DragonHawk/Windserpents as being exactly the same, since the other two are exotics and thus have another ability. It actually makes me question why, since clearly the other abilities are spread about so that you have the option of spec, why are the only pets that give us increased spell damage are given to the PVP-esqe pets?
Well yeah, but then by your own admission, Shale Spiders and Beetles having the same ability wouldn't be exactly the same since one is exotic and the other is not. That's why I think it would be fine (and even appropriate) if they had the same special.

And I don't know if I'd consider cunning pets to be purely PvP now. Their damage is pretty much on-par with ferocity pets now, and some people say the extra focus regen they give the hunter makes them better PvE choices. I know my Silithid has been seeing a lot of use in raids and dungeons lately.
Araniis

Unread post by Araniis »

Malazee wrote:Well yeah, but then by your own admission, Shale Spiders and Beetles having the same ability wouldn't be exactly the same since one is exotic and the other is not. That's why I think it would be fine (and even appropriate) if they had the same special.

And I don't know if I'd consider cunning pets to be purely PvP now. Their damage is pretty much on-par with ferocity pets now, and some people say the extra focus regen they give the hunter makes them better PvE choices. I know my Silithid has been seeing a lot of use in raids and dungeons lately.
Yeah, but I original thought you had meant that the Beetles might be given the Shale Spiders Embrace ability, which as you pointed out is their Exotic ability and I'd rather not it be given to another pet breed. If, however, what ever ability they got as their 'Normal' skill was also given to the Beetles (Let's say that Devotion Aura buff, Let's replace paladins all together with our pets!), I'd be perfectly fine with that.

And I've also gotta admit that you've got a good point in that and the Cunning pet bonus against creatures with low health can REALLY help out when you're trying to get the boss down that last 10%. Though for my raids, I'm often bringing out my Silithid simply because we don't have a Lock with an Imp or a Priest in the raid. With all the changes now, I've actually seen my Raptor more then anything else, because of our lack of the Armor debuff, where as I almost NEVER see my cat, considering we have 3+ DK's with us at all times.

In all honestly, now that I think about it, Tenacity pets are more of our PVP pets now, considering many of them have interrupt, stun, or slowing abilities as their skills. None of them really have anything that I'd consider to be a 'tanking' ability, though out of them all, I found the 4% damage buff from Worms helps out the most when doing extreme soloing.
Stridah
Realm: Aerie Peak - US

Unread post by Stridah »

I'd live to see the beetle get an attack speed debuff (tallstrider) or a damage debuff (demoralizing roar) something really tank oriented make a bombardier beetle sort of thing. As for shale spiders, I want them to have a clone of shell shield ability. Maybe a crystal armor or something, I'd really like to see that ability on the exotic end, make extreme soloing a bit more varied if not all three specs were using turtles.
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Araniis wrote:(Let's say that Devotion Aura buff, Let's replace paladins all together with our pets!), I'd be perfectly fine with that.
Well, a lot of people would be happy to not have to do the buffs and debuffs themselves, so some paladins would be happy to not have to have Devotion Aura up :D

Kalliope

Speaking as a shaman, I would prefer not to have another class with the armor buff, since only paladins and shammies get it right now, and there's VERY little to do with our earth totem. It's either strength of earth (useless with a dk/cat/spirit beast in the raid) or stoneskin (generally uncovered unless there's a prot pally). The earth elemental taunts and has a 10m cd anyway.

YouTube Edition

Revynn
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Revynn »

Kalliope wrote:Speaking as a shaman, I would prefer not to have another class with the armor buff, since only paladins and shammies get it right now, and there's VERY little to do with our earth totem. It's either strength of earth (useless with a dk/cat/spirit beast in the raid) or stoneskin (generally uncovered unless there's a prot pally). The earth elemental taunts and has a 10m cd anyway.
At the same time, though, having nothing useful to do with your Earth totem simply means that you don't need to cast it, saving mana. It's situational, but you could also keep the slot open for dropping an Earthbind/Tremor if you need to. I do agree with you, though. The Earth totem slot needs some love to make it more flexible.

The way I see it, that's the best part of having our pets cover all of these buffs. On my DK, I can sometimes go an entire fight without using Horn simply because I'm not getting RP starved and I don't think about it. If I'm the only one providing that buff, then my forgetfullness is hurting the raid. A Hunter pet, however, will never forget to cast their (de)buff and let Mangle/Sunder drop. If I forget to put up Curse of Elements on my 'lock, then I'm doing a serious disservice to the other casters in my raid. A dragonhawk will never forget to do that.

Also, the intent with giving Hunters all of these raid buffs was to reduce the inherent disadvantage of 10-M raids not having full (de)buff coverage simply by having fewer people. Some raid groups or guilds may not ever have the problem of not having a Shaman, but I know it's happened to us before. Even if you have a Paladin, a pet with the Armor buff will allow the Pally to pet up Ret, Conc, or Resist aura.

Kalliope

It doesn't save mana to not drop an earth totem. We drop all four at once using one spell. Earthbind and tremor are only useful on certain fights.

I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's a much less useful buff than all that.

YouTube Edition

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Speaking as another shammy main (enhancement), yeah, the amount of mana in dropping totems is pretty trivial. But as someone pointed out, another person with the buff could in many circumstances allow more flexibility. The amount of times we've lost the str. of earth buff because I've needed to drop tremor for survival.

I could see beetles with an added defense buff (raise their carapace and deflect blows), an acid buff (a number of beetles spray caustic substances), or a buff against undead (scarabs love nothing more than dead flesh :D, though that won't be as useful in Cata as it would have been in LK ;) )
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope

Course, defense is gone! Beetles could actually do with a damage reduction like shell shield, though, if ya wanted to go that route. :D

YouTube Edition

The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

And we have a winner: Kalliope the prophetess!

"Harden Carapace" is the new Beetle ability - reduce damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds - 1 min cd (42 sec with longevity)

Shale Spiders do not seem to have a "normal" special ability yet, but Embrace of the Shale Spider is now giving the expected stat bonus of 5%, rather than displaying 0% as before