Would you release an extinct rare?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jonmcslain
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Cairne

Would you release an extinct rare?

Unread post by Jonmcslain »

I've got Azzere the Skyblade sitting in my stable. I really dont use it and can use the stable slot. I have thought about perhaps releasing it or Lapress since I've got 2 other rare slilithids anyways.

Any thought on releasing an extinct pet.. I'm thinking I may regret it if I do... :?
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Re: Would you release an extinct rare?

Unread post by Kurasu »

Would? Try 'did'. I had Olm The Wise in my stable, but realizing that he is 'just another white owl', and that I would never use him due to my love for Dai, I released him. On and off regretting it, though. :( So think hard before you do it!

My other 'extinct rare', Timber, never has to worry about being released, probably. He was my first pet, and now that I have extra space, he will probably stay there, even if I never use him.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Rawrg
Realm: Tanaris

Unread post by Rawrg »

I'll only let a pet go if I can replace it without a lot of effort should I change my mind. Some of them have been such a pain to get I can't release them on principal.
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Kurasu wrote:Would? Try 'did'. I had Olm The Wise in my stable, but realizing that he is 'just another white owl', and that I would never use him due to my love for Dai, I released him. On and off regretting it, though. :( So think hard before you do it!
Almost willing to ticket him back to me. Not sure.

My other 'extinct rare', Timber, never has to worry about being released, probably. He was my first pet, and now that I have extra space, he will probably stay there, even if I never use him.
Eh, you're smarter than me. I abandoned my Timber, whom I had worked so hard to solo-tame at level 10. That wolf pack was murder!
I'm almost willing to ticket him back. Not sure, though.
Last edited by Cialbi on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Unread post by Tulune »

Only if the skin was still around. If it was a rare with a unique skin, I would keep it.
Wut?
Knobhead
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: EU-Jaedenar

Unread post by Knobhead »

Extinct with a non-unique skin = release with no issues.
Extinct with a unique skin = keep until WoW servers are shut down.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

For me, even if the skin is still out there, to me it's not quite the same as having the actual mob itself. I myself have Azzere and I am happy to say I still have him and will always have him. :) I would suggest looking long and hard at your stable to make sure there isn't any other pet you're willing to part with before making that decision.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Warfish
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Maelstrom

Unread post by Warfish »

People have to do whats right for they feel and how they view the game.

With that said, "extinct rare" has no meaning to me personally.

What matters is the look, the skin you will end up with.

If the skin were extinct, super rare, very hard to get, etc, I would say no.

If the skin is common and easily re-captured should the desire strike, I would say go right ahead.

And most importantly, I'd ask if you LIKE the skin in the first place? Yes, keep it. No, dump it.
Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

It depends. Terrordeath is mine and always will be. Deva's probably staying as well. (Zari, Broken Tooth). But I already released Timber. I didn't like her and Para didn't need a mate.

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Cialbi wrote:
Kurasu wrote:Would? Try 'did'. I had Olm The Wise in my stable, but realizing that he is 'just another white owl', and that I would never use him due to my love for Dai, I released him. On and off regretting it, though. :( So think hard before you do it!
Almost willing to ticket him back to me. Not sure.

Eh, you're smarter than me. I abandoned my Timber, whom I had worked so hard to solo-tame at level 10. That wolf pack was murder!
I'm almost willing to ticket him back. Not sure, though.
Timber's been spotted allegedly, he probably was displaced with the Gnome thingys going on
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Theaden
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Trollbane US, Lightbringer US

Unread post by Theaden »

I still have my Broken Tooth and she will be my first pet to 85. Rare but not a unique skin but we have a history of PVE content and PVPing memories that can't be forgotten. If you have a history with a pet I would keep it.
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Royi wrote:Timber's been spotted allegedly, he probably was displaced with the Gnome thingys going on
That's what I'm hoping. Been keeping a close eye on the threads on Timber. More than one 'SilverDragon sighting' in Dun Morogh. Sure in encouraging that Araga managed to survive by checking into a Motel 6 (I need to add that to the Wowhead comments on Araga if someone hasn't already!) - if Araga can survive, the timber pack sure could. Not sure if the Motel 6 in Dun Morogh had enough vacancies though, which has me concerned :(
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Slickrock4

Unread post by Slickrock4 »

Knobhead wrote:Extinct with a non-unique skin = release with no issues.
Extinct with a unique skin = keep until WoW servers are shut down.
This, as long as there is space to work around them.
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

As someone who isn't rare-obsessed, I agree that, if the skin is not unique, go ahead and toss it. Yes, you know that you tamed the rare, but unfortunately most people aren't impressed, and since there is no difference between, say, Humar and Pitch (looks, attack speeds, special abilities, etc), I'd drop Humar without a second thought.

This is, of course, barring a special history with the pet (Cozz has Mazzranache, and while he is no longer rare, I do have a serious history with him).
Bubu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kul Tiras

Unread post by Bubu »

Warfish wrote:People have to do whats right for they feel and how they view the game.

With that said, "extinct rare" has no meaning to me personally.

What matters is the look, the skin you will end up with.

If the skin were extinct, super rare, very hard to get, etc, I would say no.

If the skin is common and easily re-captured should the desire strike, I would say go right ahead.

And most importantly, I'd ask if you LIKE the skin in the first place? Yes, keep it. No, dump it.
Or tag - like with The Beast:O)
Absolutely agree.
Naiaara
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Naiaara »

I had the ooze at one point, and also tamed the hydra along with it. I never really liked the ooze, even after it was made untameable. My hydra, however, I will never ever let go of. I had gezzerak the huntress back when she still had the summoning animation. Now that she's been made tameable again, I still probably won't let her go.

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

In all my years of taming I think the only rares I released were the ones that had the same look somewhere else and these; I released Arikara after they took his "poof" on summon, I released Sian-Rotam after they changed it so allies could get him (I took him out just to tease them :P ) after they started the "new tames are 5 lvls behind u" I released Ghost Saber for a red lynx, most recently I released my Silithid Ravager after I found out he was no longer going to be a rare. I have never released an extinct look or skin tho. :mrgreen:

Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

ive released some rares and retamed them later, as far as extinct pets, i have araga, broken tooth and azzere. their skins arent unique so i wouldnt have a problem releasing them if i really need the stable space. unobtainable-unique skins like the hydra, i will never release, unless they introduce a cooler looking tamable hydra in the future.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

With the pet leveling nerf, I feel like releasing 2/3 of my stable. It's not like I'll be using them at all.

(Yeah, it was an unintentional nerf, but it's still a nerf. I realize why Blizz made the change, and don't have a problem with that, but they didn't think it through).

But to the point, I'd save extinct rares as long as I had the space to keep them.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

I'd only release if the pet it's self didn't gel with me. My pets go on constant rota so nobody lags behind in level. Bar the odd exception (Tripping over Takk) most I delibrately tamed anwyay so shouldn't have any problem in theory.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai