Cats and Wolves

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
becauze

Cats and Wolves

Unread post by becauze »

So today I'm doing reg Uk on my hunter and I take out my core hound at first. Then the healer drops and we get a shaman so I pull out my Beetle which needed some tender loving care and experince only to have the tank yell. Huntard where's your cat?, I tell him I don't have one and I could pull out my wolf instead. So a long story short this began an aurgment between the casters (healer Priest and Mage) vs the melee (tank and rogue). Eaching saying how hunters should bring only this out in a group to help this one person. I got tired of it by the first boss and after the first boss I put the wolf away and pulled my bug back out, next thing I know I'm being vote kicked for not being a team player.

So my question is: Am I the only person that feels it should be the hunters choice what pet they bring out for a fight?
Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Re: Cats and Wolves

Unread post by Tulune »

Within reason. A tank pet is really not a good choice for dungeons though, especially if you are BM and relying more on your pet's damage.
Wut?
Slickrock2
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock2 »

They are doing that in a regular? Lol

You could certainly make a case for it in the new heroics.
becauze

Unread post by becauze »

Tulune wrote:Within reason. A tank pet is really not a good choice for dungeons though, especially if you are BM and relying more on your pet's damage.

I only took my beetle pet out to get some xp off the trash. Other wise I normally use a dps pet and I am BM but I do decent dps at my lvl just fine. come the first boss I would have brought out something different.
Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

I've been screamed and ranted at for bring my trusty 'croc to Cataclysm dungeons. I like the stunned silence that settles upon the group after the crocolisk's tanking prevents a wipe after the tank's death! No one's questioned my pet choice since. :lol: (I'm survival, so my pet evidently doesn't matter as much as a BM specced hunter.)

Even so, it's good to yoink a pet that provides a buff along during your ventures into dungeons. The buffs are delicious! It's certainly nothing to be vote-kicked in regulars over though. Some choose pets that they personally believe will benefit the party the most (in my case, Most of my groups fail due to the tank's unexpected death, hence a tenacity pet!), some use their favourite pet! In the end; it's ultimately your choice. :D

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I have to be the one here to say: it should be the hunter's choice, but they *should* be a team player. What's the idea of a dungeon if you're not working as a team? The reason pets have the variety of buffs they have is to be able to support your party in places that they might be weak.

Generally, if I'm going to bring a pet out for XP, I ask right at the start. That way, people know that's what the plan is, and if there's issues, I can bring out a more leveled and buff-offering pet.

Note: this is personal belief here. Your mileage may vary. I'm used to my job being a 'portable buff' as it has been since BC (and I was Survival before Survival was cool).
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

If you are being responsible (not pulling, growl off) and pulling your weight, tell them to cram it.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Cozzene wrote:If you are being responsible (not pulling, growl off) and pulling your weight, tell them to cram it.
^ This

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

becauze

Unread post by becauze »

Cozzene wrote:If you are being responsible (not pulling, growl off) and pulling your weight, tell them to cram it.

I feel that I do I normally out dps everyone, I use my ice trap and trap lauchner on those ranged mobs the tanks forget to pull or grab aggro on. I use my pets stuns and other ablities to help the party, as another poster said I don't know how many times my tanking pets have stepped in to help tank a mob and frankly I like my tank pets more then my dps ones. Depending on the tank I'm still able to pull aggro off when I crit a few times in a row with arcane shot, pallies seem to be the only class that I don't pull off from.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I often avoid these jerks, simply because I dungeon with my cat. I love my cat.
However, I have been in a few dungeons on characters that were only BM (before DS was 10g) and had Tenacity pets (before Call pet 2/3/4/5), the mage asked, "BM? Really?" However, after I explained it was for leveling, they were fine with it.
I guess I just half go with the flow. I choose a pet I like that's in the "accepted pets" group.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

It isn't as much of an issue for me, because I generally have an obsession with making myself useful. I'll bring along a cat, wolf, corehound, raptor, hyena, whatever, and swap between them as needed.

HOWEVER, if I have a pet I need levelling, I will swap to it and tell them in advance. I will usually say something like,

"I'm going to use my Warp Stalker on trash to level it a bit, but if it lowers my dps too much I'll swap right back."

Then again, NOBODY ever seems to notice what I do, as long as my DPS is good. Some days I think I could run it without a pet and they simply would not see it.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Seriously? I'll use whatever damn pet I want to use. It's my character. If they want to provide the buff, roll the class. If they fail to the extent that they rely on a *circumstantial buff from a pet*, it's not the hunter's fault - what would have happened if there was no hunter? It's like wiping in a dungeon because there was no priest to give you fort. Just cause there's no fort doesn't mean it's impossible to complete the dungeon. If my dps sucks because I'm using a turtle, then fair enough, I should probably switch to a dps pet. However unless they're pulling significantly more dps than me (unlikely in most pugs, lol) or *my dps alone is letting the group down*, they have no right to whine about what pet I use.

And yeah, I level up my tank pets in dungeons. Gotta level them up somehow. If it's a particularly difficult boss or whatever I'll probably switch but that's up to my discretion, not theirs. xD

Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Unread post by Tulune »

Comett wrote:Seriously? I'll use whatever damn pet I want to use. It's my character. If they want to provide the buff, roll the class. If they fail to the extent that they rely on a *circumstantial buff from a pet*, it's not the hunter's fault - what would have happened if there was no hunter? It's like wiping in a dungeon because there was no priest to give you fort. Just cause there's no fort doesn't mean it's impossible to complete the dungeon. If my dps sucks because I'm using a turtle, then fair enough, I should probably switch to a dps pet. However unless they're pulling significantly more dps than me (unlikely in most pugs, lol) or *my dps alone is letting the group down*, they have no right to whine about what pet I use.

And yeah, I level up my tank pets in dungeons. Gotta level them up somehow. If it's a particularly difficult boss or whatever I'll probably switch but that's up to my discretion, not theirs. xD

The flipside of your arguement is that we are supposed to be a team player and help the group finish a run as smooth and fast as possible. It's not like the example you meantioned, if there is no priest to buff that can't be helped. It's more like a priest that is refusing to buff. Every little bit helps.

If I want to lvl up a pet in a dungeon that would not really benefit the group, i simply ask before i take it out. i have yet to get a negative response. But it is polite to mention it to the group.
Wut?