Pets you carry and why? Plz spread the word "ingame"

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zaitsev
Realm: Dragonblight

Pets you carry and why? Plz spread the word "ingame"

Unread post by Zaitsev »

Hello fellow hunters :D

Ive been noticing a disturbing trend since Cata has been released. Many times when getting into an instance and there is a hunter or two in the group the only pets they seem to have on them is CATS :P

I personally carry a cat, wolf, and raptor at all times for the group buffs/boss debuffs they offer. I would like to hear what pets you like to have with you, and why.

With my main these days being an enhancement shaman and my best friend ingame being a prot pally my totem of choice is the "strength of earth" for the agility and strength buff it gives the party. (same as our beloved felines)

With the wolf giving 5% crit and raptors debuffing boss' for 20% of their armor it seems the smart thing to do is to carry more than just our favorite kitty kat on us at all times. :roll:

Im looking forward to your replies and hopefully I can learn a few things in the proccess....

Peace......Zaitsev
malikith
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Pets you carry and why? Plz spread the word "ingame"

Unread post by malikith »

I carry the 5 pets I like the looks of most. Who actually gets ysed depends upon the group makeup.

I always carry a Cat (either my Humar or Shango) plus a Wolf, my Raven (which is now a carrion bird....hope they change him back because ill no longer have a PvE use for him if they dont), my Fox and my Croc (for soloing).

Cat is a high damage pet and has the AGI buff. Most often that buff is covered by another class or other hunter so normally I use Thorne (my armoured black wolf). If both buffs are covered I use my Raven or my Fox.

Im SV so the Crocs ability helps keep the MOBs away from me pretty well.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

So, let me get this straight:
you're asking us to "spread the word" that you don't think we should have cats as pets and should be using only the pets you suggested above?

Well, welcome to Petopia.
My reply is, I will run with the pets I enjoy running with. I play a hunter to get the kind of gaming experience I enjoy. So that seems logical, yes?

Besides, I dumped my in-game friends who were telling me how they thought I should be playing the game.

You at least least learned something about me :)

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I run with the pets that I enjoy as well.

On my biggest hunter, that usually means Karoma, Loque, and whichever three pets that I am trying to level up at the moment.

I don't run raids right now, and I honestly don't care if my DPS is just a touch low because I am leveling one of my pets during an instance run. I'm playing for my own enjoyment, and I will not be told what I have to bring to an instance/raid. I was running with Loque long before patch, back when SB were 'bad' pets compared to wolves and cats, and I'll keep running with him no matter what anyone says.

*shrug*
Loethlin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Loethlin »

I think what OP meant is be smart and bring a pet that offers your party a buff not covered by someone else. Which actually is a reasonable thing to do.

I used to have a Cat, a Wolf, a Dragonhawk, a Core Hound (just in case) or a Moth (also just in case, because some people don't know how to interrupt) and a Scorpid or a Turtle for soloing with me at all times.

As of today, BM is again a viable spec and I switched to:
Spirit Beast, Chimaera, Wolf and Scorpid. I think the 5th one will be either Ravager or Core Hound or Moth.

I pull out the pets that give the buff not provided by someone else in the team, it's just so much more efficient this way, makes everyone feel better and I never heard anyone calling me a "huntard".

I also tamed several pets "just in case", for buffs they give. I'd never look twice on a Core Hound if not for ancient hysteria, and I was asked to tame a Sporebat for CoT if raid missed a lock, and Dragonhawk (that I actually love) because of the magic dmg buff... So yea, now, with THIS variety, why NOT do it?
Last edited by Loethlin on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

I bring those pets I want to bring. But I always keep a corehound with me at all times.

And the only pet I ever see in dungeons nowaways is that ugly black northrend worg. So sick of it :p
But hey, if thats the pet of their choice, then go ahead.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Zaitsev
Realm: Dragonblight

Unread post by Zaitsev »

Sukurachi wrote:So, let me get this straight:
you're asking us to "spread the word" that you don't think we should have cats as pets and should be using only the pets you suggested above?

Well, welcome to Petopia.
My reply is, I will run with the pets I enjoy running with. I play a hunter to get the kind of gaming experience I enjoy. So that seems logical, yes?

Besides, I dumped my in-game friends who were telling me how they thought I should be playing the game.

You at least least learned something about me :)

Lmao, I'm pretty sure i did not say a hunter "should not have a cat as a pet" nor did I suggest what kind of pet a hunter should carry. I gave a list of the three i make sure to have on hand at all times and the reason that i do. (one of them was a cat *gasp*) Actually my stable has around fourteen cats in it cuz they are my favorite pet and cant seem to get enough of them.

Just trying to get a little info on what peeps consider to be an effective grouping pet and why so that i can make an informed decision on what other pets to keep on my person.

Sorry if i touched a nerve somehow.

Peace.....Zaitsev
Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

I tend to bring pets for the looks- not the buff! Heck, usually need to turn the pet's debuff off so they don't go fleeing into another pack of mobs! :lol:

Always keep a tanking pet in my roster though and hastily yank 'eet out if the tank's struggling!

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

Orrik
Realm: Khaz'goroth

Unread post by Orrik »

I always carry my wolf with me along with one of my cats (usually my spotted nightsaber). I also keep my beetle with me for if I need him to tank something or if we are about to wipe and he can taunt and keep the fight going. My green devilsaur is also always with me for when I pvp. The fifth slot is for either my ravager, windserpent, raptor, or whatever is prettiest.
Forgesmasher
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Forgesmasher »

I carry a cat (for Str/Agi buff), my wolf (crit), my dragonhawk (+magic damage as survival), and my turtle. Cat and wolf are top priority if one of those buffs is not present, then it goes to the dragonhawk. The turtle is for soloing and just in case fights. I've been in a heroic where our tank DCed and so we used my turtle to keep pulling while we waited for him to come back (and eventually replaced). If I don't need any of the three required buffs, I usually just take out what I feel like looking at more: OCJ or Sambas. :)

I do have a BM spec though and I like to run around with my green Devilsaur, as I spent a long time taming him. Sometimes I bust out Karoma too. I rarely ever bring the Core Hound because I don't really pay attention to using Ancient Hysteria unless I am specifically asked.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

I don't use much in the way of criteria when grouping; normally I just take whichever of the toon's ferocity pets needs EXP the most, or failing that I may occasionally bring a cunning pet.

As for whether I prefer cat/wolf/raptor/etc... I suppose if I was playing in a guild and/or raiding, I'd try to keep a list of which class gives which buff and base my pet choice on that... but as it stands, I'm not concerned about it*.

Beyond ensuring every toon has at least one tenacity and one ferocity pet, I just try to take the pets I like and spread them around my various different hunters according to "best fit".

*Now that being said I haven't done any high level PuGing since cata came out, so that view is subject to change if cata heroics are still considered high-difficulty when I get around to doing them.
ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

I'm not surprised to see a lot of cats to be honest. Their buff is one of the best for the hunter in solo.

In survival, I run with a cat, wind serpent, and a turtle. Going to level my wolf next. As BM, the cat gets swapped for a spirit beast, and I also have a devilsaur, plus the turtle for emergencies.

I think it makes sense to run with a variety, but I don't think having a cat as a default is a bad thing.

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

At this particular moment in time, I do not have the pets on my character that I normally carry on her, because of the new patch and new tames. :D

I always make sure to have the following:

Wolf
Cat
Corehound

The other two I usually take a fun pet (maybe my Ashtail Fox for dancing!) or just another pet I really love. Now that BM spec is back as more viable dps overall, I'll probably start using a spirit beast again also. :D

I like carrying one of my tanks on me (Turtle or Scorpid usually) just in case I need one.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

My usual lineup if I'm going into PUG heroics is Core Hound (Heroism), Serpent (armor debuff), Devilsaur (Crit), Spirit Beast (Str/Agi buff), and Silithid (Fort). If I have the time to be able to check out my group makeup with RaidChecklist, I do so and will make changes.

Now, if there's enough covered by the group, or if I'm running with my party, I will generally run with whatever I feel like at the time. Usually I avoid Tenacity for DPS and instead take along a Cunning or Ferocity, but I'll often just flip a coin and take whichever pets make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Not sure if this has already been built, but... would be cool if there was an addon which checked 1) buffs on your hunter, 2) raid buffs possessed by pets in your active stable, and notified you in cases where A) your pet's raid buff had become redundant and B) one of your other pets had a raid buff not currently in use.

Has anyone seen anything like this out there?
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Nanaki of course (red hyena) why? Because he's been my partner for the last 3yrs. All the way from 3 pet limit and having to learn pet ability ranks.
Barret, (Fire turtle) Why? He's my ohshitwereallgoingtodie pet.
Usually Vlakorados (chromaggus-corehound) Why? He looks freakin awsome! that and the bloodlust is niffty.
Highwind (seagull) Why? Dude, its a SEAGULL, how is that NOT awsome?
Last slot, Whatever pet needs leveling.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

One of the weirdest pets that I have no idea why I wanted to tame in the first place, but ALWAYS seem to keep around is my Gorebite crocodile, Jigsaw. He just comes in so handy in instances...Hell. I even got my guild the achievement on Heroic Karsh Steelbender with him. Our tank accidentally bit the dust with the boss at 3%, I taunted with my Crocodile, and then suddenly realized I was standing the boss in the middle of a fire puddle. But my Croc held onto the boss and magically two of us stayed alive right up to the point where he died, with 15 stacks of the fire debuff on him. Was really awesome. He's been in my party ever since.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Worba wrote:Not sure if this has already been built, but... would be cool if there was an addon which checked 1) buffs on your hunter, 2) raid buffs possessed by pets in your active stable, and notified you in cases where A) your pet's raid buff had become redundant and B) one of your other pets had a raid buff not currently in use.

Has anyone seen anything like this out there?
RaidBuff Status might be able to do that.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... tatus.aspx

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
PetCollector
Realm: Killrogg

Unread post by PetCollector »

1 x Cat (Ghostsaber atm)
1 X wolf
1 x Fiery Turtle (for solo'ing)
1x Olm !!! just tamed still levelling him
1 x Spirit beast
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I actually just worked on my stable before seeing this thread. I carry Termaraya (Jadefang 'Shale Spider') for her buffs and cause shes Tenacity.

I carry Skoll for my current RP pet (i switch out between Aliosacath (Loque'nahak 'Spirit Beast'), Snowfall (Death Howl 'Wolf'), Fallaner (Arcturis 'Spirit Beast'), and the newest edition Cat (Duskstalker 'Cat', havent renamed)

*Scratched out everything i said about my cats. Apperently their stealth gives them a higher everything but they can only use that for one hit out of a while fight* -- Im carrying around Monster (King Krush 'Devilsaur') for my dungeon/raid pet

I absolutely hate hate haaaate having more then 3 pets in my characters Call Pet and i dont know why lol -shrug-
Last edited by Chimera on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |