Bloodmages and Demon Hunters: good for new classes?

Warfish
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Maelstrom

Re: Bloodmages and Demon Hunters: good for new classes?

Unread post by Warfish »

Warrior, En.Shaman, Rogue, Kittybear Druid, DK -- Melee DPS

Hunters, Mages, E.Shaman, Owl Druid, S.Priest, Warlock -- Ranged DPS

Priest, Shaman (1 tree), Druid (1 tree) -- Healer

Thats effectively your trhee roles in any Fantasy MMO. DPS up close/tanking, DPS Far away, and Healer.

Looks like whats short is Healer.

So, what can be a Hero Healer of some sort, and still have other trees for other purposes (a PvP tree, and a third tree of some kind)?

So, Bloodmage, in game (sorta) already. Clothy dual sword-wirldy lunatic!

Tree 1 Primary Healer Tree. Uses Blood (works mostly like Mana) and his heals hurt himself in various ways.

Tree 2 Melee DPS Tree. Blood Stabbing! Blood Shields! Blood swords! Blooooooood!

Tree 3 Support/Pet/Buff Tree: Blood Boon (+ to something)! Bloody vicsiousness (+ to something else)! Blood Elemental pet who doesn't attack, but HEALS you and your group/raid mates, and aslo used blood as his mechanic!!

In short, the Blood mage will always be looking at his own health and blood, and trying to balance the two, while tossing out heals, waving two bloody swords about, and having a pocket-healer Blood Elemental Pet. A Hybrid Sado-Priest/Rogue, with a new kind of Pet Tree as the off-spec.

And no, lore means little to me, because game mechanics > lore every time.
Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonglade

Unread post by Andine »

Except "blood mage" does not mean "using anything that has to do with blood". Spells used by blood mages are very specific, and none of them are blood-related. See the name? It's because it's a Blood Elf Mage, not a mage specializing in blood. It'd be a cool concept for another MMO, but in the Warcraft universe that's what a blood mage is.
Warfish
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Warfish »

Andine wrote:Except "blood mage" does not mean "using anything that has to do with blood". Spells used by blood mages are very specific, and none of them are blood-related. See the name? It's because it's a Blood Elf Mage, not a mage specializing in blood. It'd be a cool concept for another MMO, but in the Warcraft universe that's what a blood mage is.
If there is anything I've learned playing Blizzards games since Warcraft 1, it's that the Universe is whatever the current designers say it is at the time. :lol:

If Bloodmage is, and can only be, "Blood Elf Magic" tossers, there is probably zero chance they ever see implementation. We have plenty of vanilla mana-using magic-wielding mage-types already, half the game can fill that role.

So, what else is there, really? Any hero forthcoming is going to have (IMO) to be a Healer as a major option, so if Bloodmage isn't it in the lore, what else does the "lore" support for such a role? Rogue-like Healer is the only meaningful hybrid we're lacking.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

But uh Warfish, we have Paladins- who are healers, and Ret is being made to a pseudo healer. So that;'s 5/6. And the thing is while lore may not mean little to you, no blood mage has exhibited healing abilities or prowess. If you did the quest line with the ingame Bloodmages, you'd see that, if I remember right they didn't use their blood, they used the blood of things you collected or blood shards. I'm not to sure, as I'm kinda hazy on the details. There's also the fact the demon hunter they ressurected, was ressurected using a DEMONIC summoning table, ergo corrupting the hunter and turning him basically into a demonic pawn.

Basically Illidan 2.0 before you off the poor guy.

Unfortunately they're just crazy warlocks addicted to blood, not blood crazed healing beserkers.

And also Andine did nail it on the spot. All blood mages ARE blood elves and while there are a few crazy ones who seemingly are addicted to blood and using blood for their spells and such, they have not shown any healing tendancies or spells. As said they're basically warlocks who went off their rocker and took up warlock abilities. Though the blood mages in thrallmar still use ice spells. So there is varying degrees of their insanity and stupidity. Evidently full blown and not as full blown.
So, what else is there, really? Any hero forthcoming is going to have (IMO) to be a Healer as a major option, so if Bloodmage isn't it in the lore, what else does the "lore" support for such a role? Rogue-like Healer is the only meaningful hybrid we're lacking.
We have that though, druid- Caster dps, Feral dps, Feral tank, Caster healer, and I have seen some god awful ferals who were able to rip me a new one -and- pull off incredible heals to boot.
Warfish
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Warfish »

Ryai wrote:But uh Warfish, we have Paladins- who are healers
Ha, how'd I miss that! I think all the times I futilly tried to kill Pallys has caused a mental block! :lol:
And the thing is while lore may not mean little to you, no blood mage has exhibited healing abilities or prowess.
Oh, not that it mneans little to me. Only that it means little to game designers if it comes down to lore vs. mechanics or a good fun gaming idea.

I would mantain, despite my lol-oversight of the dreaded unkillable Paladins, that Healer is the next Hero Class, and a Healer who may wear cloth, but certainly isn't squishy per se.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Well obviously you guys don't like the idea b/c its a 'bloodmage', which to you guys, means something entirely different. Why not call this new class Idea something similar, yet different then? Like Bloodcasters, or Bloodshapers, or even Bloodbinders. It seems to me, that with you guys, you just don't like them being 'bloodmages'. So here's an easy fix for all you major lore buffs. :mrgreen:

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Gimlion wrote:Well obviously you guys don't like the idea b/c its a 'bloodmage', which to you guys, means something entirely different. Why not call this new class Idea something similar, yet different then? Like Bloodcasters, or Bloodshapers, or even Bloodbinders. It seems to me, that with you guys, you just don't like them being 'bloodmages'. So here's an easy fix for all you major lore buffs. :mrgreen:
Dude.. we're against it because you're trying to turn a Warlock class into a Paladin, basically, that uses its blood/enemy blood/friends blood to cast heals and crap. You ignore the fact the only case of a blood mage using her magics in any sort of healing fasion was rather demonic and had bad side effects to boot. Mage also means that they are well mages. They aren't healers, evidently they are either A: failed warlocks or B: Mages with a chip on their shoulder.

They just AREN'T the class you're all trying to turn them into, especially if you check Wowpedia/wowwiki for such information.

All of wow classes we clay currently have existed in some form or another in WC/Lore. IE warriors who excelled in being marksmen and survivalists, beast masters -> hunters. Etc etc etc.

Basically it's the same as if people suddenly decided; Hey, lets make warriors casters, and with a healer specc!

It makes no sense, do you get it?
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Andine wrote:Except "blood mage" does not mean "using anything that has to do with blood". Spells used by blood mages are very specific, and none of them are blood-related. See the name? It's because it's a Blood Elf Mage, not a mage specializing in blood. It'd be a cool concept for another MMO, but in the Warcraft universe that's what a blood mage is.
Except for the human Bloodmages in Deadmines, and the Naga Bloodmages in Blasted Lands.

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Ryai wrote:
Gimlion wrote:Well obviously you guys don't like the idea b/c its a 'bloodmage', which to you guys, means something entirely different. Why not call this new class Idea something similar, yet different then? Like Bloodcasters, or Bloodshapers, or even Bloodbinders. It seems to me, that with you guys, you just don't like them being 'bloodmages'. So here's an easy fix for all you major lore buffs. :mrgreen:
Dude.. we're against it because you're trying to turn a Warlock class into a Paladin, basically, that uses its blood/enemy blood/friends blood to cast heals and crap. You ignore the fact the only case of a blood mage using her magics in any sort of healing fasion was rather demonic and had bad side effects to boot. Mage also means that they are well mages. They aren't healers, evidently they are either A: failed warlocks or B: Mages with a chip on their shoulder.

They just AREN'T the class you're all trying to turn them into, especially if you check Wowpedia/wowwiki for such information.

All of wow classes we clay currently have existed in some form or another in WC/Lore. IE warriors who excelled in being marksmen and survivalists, beast masters -> hunters. Etc etc etc.

Basically it's the same as if people suddenly decided; Hey, lets make warriors casters, and with a healer specc!

It makes no sense, do you get it?
Which is why you can change the name of it to something more suited for your lore tastes. They don't have to be called bloodmages! Can you imagine, even for a minute, a class that can shift the blood within living creatures to cast magic, either by healing or causing damage? That's what the OP wants. Now, he called it a bloodmage b/c that was the first thing WoW-wise that comes to mind when thinking of something like this. If you don't want your blood-elf warlocks becoming blood-benders, so be it, give this class a different name/lore, and you can all stop griping about someone else having an idea, or thought, or wish. Sweet Jesus, I swear everytime someone has an idea that you don't agree with, for whatever reason it's like a fucking torch down their throat. Just pretend, Just imagine, it's not like it is gunna happen for sure...

And as for the lore thing, they are too in game. Those stupid Vampire things in LK, the humans that have been stated already, the naga that cast bloodbolts. It's not like it's out of thin air, he (the OP) has valid reasons and proof, so to speak, that it could and would be a viable option, should the devs decide to read this...

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Gimlion wrote: Which is why you can change the name of it to something more suited for your lore tastes. They don't have to be called bloodmages! Can you imagine, even for a minute, a class that can shift the blood within living creatures to cast magic, either by healing or causing damage?
Yes I can imagine but there is no class like that really ingame. Not for healing. Not for healing others, or even themselves. It's just all damage really. But looking at most of what we have, we don't really have anything of the sort that could be turned into that.
Except for the human Bloodmages in Deadmines, and the Naga Bloodmages in Blasted Lands.
We also have tauren mages and rogues. Besides the healers in Deadmines just came off as freaking Deathknight Priets to be with their blood boil/death and decay sort of attacks and life drain reverse heals.
That's what the OP wants. Now, he called it a bloodmage b/c that was the first thing WoW-wise that comes to mind when thinking of something like this. If you don't want your blood-elf warlocks becoming blood-benders, so be it, give this class a different name/lore, and you can all stop griping about someone else having an idea, or thought, or wish.
That's just not the point, I was trying to explain first- blood mages for the most part aren't like what you guys wish. Secondly there is really no class that uses blood in such a way as what you want them to do/be/use. I mean Blood Elf druids have a better chance of happening atm, because you guys are just pulling things out of thin air or a few rogue characters in the game. I mean if you go and look at races and then classes;

Example- Human
Character classes Mage, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Warlock, Warrior, Death knight (WoW); Knight, Archer, Archmage, Barbarian, Templar Beastmaster, Berserker, Buccaneer, Commoner, Demon hunter, Exemplar, Gladiator, Gunman, Infiltrator, Soldier, Marksman, Necromancer, Scout, Sorcerer (RPG); Brigand, Enforcer, Assassin, Bandit lord (WC3); Druid (presumed), Mage hunter (?) Worker, Witch doctor
Example- Tauren
Druid, Hunter, Shaman, Warrior, Death knight, Paladin, Priest (WoW); Spirit walker, Tauren warrior, Chieftain, Barbarian, Healer, Scout, Runemaster, Beastmaster, Plagueshifter, Holy strider, Ley walker, Spirit champion, Wilderness stalker (RPG); Archdruid, Warden (presumed)
And etc etc, that's why I'm against it, you guys are trying to draw something from nothing out of thin air just because of some rogue healers in deadmines and some crazy blood elves.
Sweet Jesus, I swear everytime someone has an idea that you don't agree with, for whatever reason it's like a fucking torch down their throat. Just pretend, Just imagine, it's not like it is gunna happen for sure...
And I was just trying to explain why even if you imagine it's not gonna happen, because the reasoning for it is just, to grabbing for straws. There are other things that could be turned into a hero class, but it's not because of you wanting blood healers that I also doubt it, it's the fact it was so hard to balance DK's. At first they were strong, then they were to strong. Then they were to UP, then to strong, then etc etc.
And as for the lore thing, they are too in game. Those stupid Vampire things in LK, the humans that have been stated already, the naga that cast bloodbolts. It's not like it's out of thin air, he (the OP) has valid reasons and proof, so to speak, that it could and would be a viable option, should the devs decide to read this...
The stupid vampires are just high elves on crack turned by Arthas, they aren't a true class they're just crazies gone mad for blood. Like all sparkling bags of pixy fairy dust vampires. And I've pretty much already pointed out there are already anomolies in classes of NPC mobs.

I've seen mage cows and rogue taurens as I've said, and I've probably seen others like witchdoctors and stuff but they aren't playable classes ingame because frankly, we have more than enough classes now.

Besides doing some dredging and;
Other possible hero classes[edit]

In Blizzcast 7, it was revealed that while making Wrath of the Lich King, Blizzard considered a number of ideas for the hero class, which they narrowed down to four front runners. Besides the death knight, they also considered:

* Necromancer
* Runemaster
* Monk

Although they did not ultimately choose to implement the class, some of the ideas for the necromancer class were incorporated into the death knight instead.[3]
Obviously if we get any others it's going to be Monk or Runemaster.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I've always kinda' wanted a Disciple of Khane-like class in WoW. They would fight in melee like a rogue, gaining "Soul Snergy", which they could then use on healing. It's a rather unique playstyle which could easily be changed a little to work for a bloodmage. I mean, something like a Blood Drain spell, and then a Blood Transfer, or Infusion or whatever, to heal a friendly target. That's not too unlike warlocks, who can do similar things, but only for themselves and their pet.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ellaran »

Ryai wrote:
We also have tauren mages and rogues. Besides the healers in Deadmines just came off as freaking Deathknight Priets to be with their blood boil/death and decay sort of attacks and life drain reverse heals.
Healers? I never saw them healing anyone, they cast Bloodbolts and put up blood-colored bubble zones where damage taken and done is increased 25%.

I'm also not understanding why you're so upset about all this. "Bloodmage" doesn't automatically and only mean "Blood Elf mage", there's more than just Blood Elves using it, and the quest Bloodmage NPC in Blasted Lands specifically says "blood magic" and how it's a relatively new and unknown style with depths unknown at the moment. Blood-talent Death Knights don't do very much specifically blood-related, and Warlocks use demonic magic to cast curses on the body with nothing blood-related at all. Yes, some effects of a Bloodmage's spells would overlap with the Warlock or the Mage (just like how Mage and Warlock spells overlap, they both have Fire spells that do damage over time, for example). Bloodmages would be able to use a new type of resource, with unique ways of using and refilling it, and interesting ways of using Blood magic on enemies, allies and themselves.

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

i think the biggest thing to remember with any potential 'hero class' is that they're going to go with something that will work for all the race choices in the game. Giving a hero class to only four or five of the races will cause uproar among the player base and probably some form of imbalance game wise too. Demonhunters and Bloodmages don't work for all classes, so I don't think we're going to see them.

I'd sooner blizz give us a couple of regular classes instead.

Gunslingers anyone? Hell yeah
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

The Gunslinger is basically a hunter and a rogue and we definitely dont need more rogue-esque classes. WoW isnt exactly the old west either.

I'm still mostly 100% for a Demon Hunter.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ellaran »

Kayb wrote:i think the biggest thing to remember with any potential 'hero class' is that they're going to go with something that will work for all the race choices in the game. Giving a hero class to only four or five of the races will cause uproar among the player base and probably some form of imbalance game wise too. Demonhunters and Bloodmages don't work for all classes, so I don't think we're going to see them.

I'd sooner blizz give us a couple of regular classes instead.

Gunslingers anyone? Hell yeah
After their introduction, the Death Knight was toned down to be relatively equal to the other classes. Yes, they're "Hero" classes, but in an MMORPG they can't be uber or else it will screw up everything. As long as both sides can use them, everything will be kosher. Night Elves are the traditional Demon Hunters, and a lot of Blood Elves were being trained in Burning Crusade (and with their roots being the Nelves they took to it quickly and effectively), so there's one race for each side right there. And we have Humans and Blood Elves using Blood magic, so a Bloodmage race for each side already in place.
Taluwen wrote:The Gunslinger is basically a hunter and a rogue and we definitely dont need more rogue-esque classes. WoW isnt exactly the old west either.

I'm still mostly 100% for a Demon Hunter.
My first choice is also the Demon Hunter, I've always loved the design and idea of them, not to mention being able to finally use those damned warglaives (seriously, Blizz, could you put more usable ones in the damned game besides Illidan's, please?). For someone who likes to play as a class who fights with grace, beauty and savagery, a demon Hunter is possibly the best choice.

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah really. I've loved them since Warcraft. x3 Also, all Demon hunters would have the blindfold, to keep true to how Warcraft had them.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

*still raises hands for Shadow/Demon hunter.* I just want a ranged archer class that doesn't need a pet. And can also do some kickass melee, or enchant melee/Arched with fire/shadow/fel. xD

Hershel
Realm: Nesingwary (Horde), Staghelm (Horde)

Unread post by Hershel »

While I've always wanted to play an awesome, demon-killing, spellsword-like class in WoW (Demon Hunter), there's something that I think needs to be included before that. A mounted class.

They've been present in every Warcraft RTS, if memory serves, and in my opinion would be a great addition to the game.

(Ugh. I was gonna post what I'd come up with, but it got really long. If you want me to though, just ask and I will.) ;)