Lynx Rush vs Murder of Crows

For discussion of the upcoming 5.1 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Re: Lynx Rush vs Murder of Crows

Unread post by Ziarre »

That...didn't really answer the question, but for now I'll sit tight and wait until the patch looks a little closer to live. :( Sorry?
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Sorry, just added you a "source" in your reply

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

I'm not seeing a very large gap, there. Strictly comparing SV and BM (MM is nearly out of the picture anyhow, dear lord the skill curve must be high for them)--First place hunter on Feng normal might be SV, but a solid 20+ between that hunter and the next highest SV hunter are BM. Third on heroic is BM, and it's only six more until the next BM hunter.

Still, it's a definite clue as to why people have been saying SV is best. Thank you for the links--everything else I could dig up wasn't showing me anything and it was becoming quite baffling.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Tumblr!

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Very good explanation, Spirit, on both parts. I always liked MoC just for the sake of preference. LR did have better utility, this is true, and the burst was helpful. Just for boss fights, MoC was the better choice, as you've said. It's a shame LR had to get revamped. I don't see why they couldn't just...nerf the damage rather than change it completely.

And yes, BM isn't far behind SV. If not counting glitchy pets and such, I personally consider themselves even and MM is kinda left in the dust atm.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

I'm blaming the MM deficiency atm on both small sample size (it's only been a month since launch!) and the blue statement that MM asks a lot more of the hunter/higher skill curve.

Gonna just...cross my fingers and keep my eye on the PTR, since I'd really rather avoid MoC if I can. It feels awfully focus-hungry and I'm never sure if I should pop it on cooldown throughout the fight or only as an execute (maybe I've been doing it wrong whenever I try it, this is entirely possible).
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Ziarre wrote:Third on heroic is BM, and it's only six more until the next BM hunter.
O_o Random, it shows a mage for me :| Meh...
Ziarre wrote:Still, it's a definite clue as to why people have been saying SV is best. Thank you for the links--everything else I could dig up wasn't showing me anything and it was becoming quite baffling.
I think the shift is happening because BM was in front of SV by more earlier on. As people are getting better gear, it is catching BM and even surpassing in others. People are seeing this trend and then forecasting SV as the better option.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

Not to get too off topic but I came in as survival because it was the best coming out of Cata. I think most people did. I didn't see flourish in my DPS until I respecced to BM. So I think it's opposite that SV was in front and now BM is just catching up and that's why you are just now starting to see the logs change. I guess you would have to be investigating them from day 1 to know for sure.

Anyway, whether it's a little less in DPS or not I can't believe no one is talking about the HUGE benefit we get from the Quilen Brez now. It is a must have and when I first started using it people were like OMG, this is awesome!! I had marriage proposals. Now, people know about it and are pissed off if you come in without a Quilen. So for dungeons and raiding BM is the ONLY way to go.

As far as LR vs. MOC is concerned. I also saw a spike in DPS but can't confirm if it was the switch to LR or to BM that did it. I like LR better as it isn't negated if the boss dies. However with the upcoming change in LR I don't know what to do...I always prefer burst over DoT so I may just do blink strike and take the dps hit.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

Spiritbinder wrote:O_o Random, it shows a mage for me :| Meh...
I was clicking the spec buttons to look at BM and SV individually and comparing those two alone, as a quick look at MM showed them out of the picture for now (while blues say they're competitive albeit requiring much more effort, logs aren't reflecting anyone putting in enough effort it seems). If I could figure out how to get it to look at a single class, but all specs, I would have done that.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Honestly? No one is going to put in "more effort" for the same results as less effort. Challenge with reward is one thing, but having to bust your butt just to catch up to someone else that's (comparatively) coasting along isn't any fun and isn't practical for people interested in results (like raiders). I've felt like this about Marks ever since Wrath, honestly... that in order to keep up, I was having to work three times as hard as I did as another spec.

I want to -enjoy- the game, not feel constantly pressured and harried and spending all my time button-dancing and cursing anything that makes me break pattern.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ziarre »

I understand, Nacht. BM had to play the same 'bust your butt to keep up' game in Wrath--when the skill-requirement-to-get-results gap is that large, it's not very fun to watch yourself left in the dust if you slip.
Acherontia wrote:

Tumblr!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ziarre wrote:I understand, Nacht. BM had to play the same 'bust your butt to keep up' game in Wrath--when the skill-requirement-to-get-results gap is that large, it's not very fun to watch yourself left in the dust if you slip.
Indeed. Kitty druids go through this a lot too.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh man, why do I check up on things when I'm already extremely late to bed?

I don't have time to sort things out right now. I'm going to lock this thread till morning (my morning) and hope you all have extended ISP outages as punishment.

Too many people on this thread that simply cannot help themselves.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, I'm gonna delete the contentious posts and reopen this thread for constructive discussion.

As for what went on...

With respect to negative postings, there are two kinds of "personal".

(i) if I have an issue with something someone said and I use their name, that's personal. It's best to avoid this if it comes across as harsh, though sometimes it's unavoidable, and it's not always a bad thing. I think in this case J's post came across as more blunt than intended. Perhaps a bit careless in its construction but I don't think any ill will was intended. It was more of an explanation that came across bluntly.

(ii) the other kind of "personal" is where you attack a person's character directly. THIS IS ALWAYS TO BE AVOIDED ON THE FORUM. No excuses. Take it to PMs. Even that doesn't mean you have carte blanche, but at least the person can block you if it becomes too malicious. If it's abusive then you could still be dealt with.

Anyway, the thread is now open again. Play nice :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Meh, I got banned from using Murder of Crows because I macroed it to yell 'THAT'S CAWESOME!' when I used it. >_>

Frankly, I think you really could go either way with it. LR seems more suited to BM, while SV works well with moc. I just hope BM doesn't get nerfed into oblivion. I <3 my quilen. Derplion is the best.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!