Just got hacked...

User avatar
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4685
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Sarayana »

Quest items you can get back. Bank items and gear you will get back from Blizz. This is merely a setback. ;)

You have to allow trusted sites with noscript. Click the S button (or if the yellow bar is up, the 'options' button), and see what's being stopped. If you're on worldofwarcraft.com and you know it's the real deal, go ahead and allow it. If you're on wowhead.com and it wants you to allow some strange site named moar-wow-for-u.com (I made that up, don't try to open that, I take no responsibility for anything that may ensue if you do!!) then... don't allow it. If some sites keep popping up on different sites, you can set them to untrusted. Just make sure they're not vital to the site you're on. (Google has a bunch of sub-sites for example. They're all named something to do with google.)

Image
Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

User avatar
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 am
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)
Gender: Female Dragonkin
Location: Albany Oregon USA
Contact:

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Should never use Symmantic (aka norton). They sold out on their security.

Image

Image
Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

User avatar
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4685
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Sarayana »

Chrizesu wrote:Should never use Symmantic (aka norton). They sold out on their security.
It's not just that. They got too popular. Hackers know them so they know to work around them. But yeah, they also sold out. :|

Image
Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

Sarayana wrote:
Chrizesu wrote:Should never use Symmantic (aka norton). They sold out on their security.
It's not just that. They got too popular. Hackers know them so they know to work around them. But yeah, they also sold out. :|
Never been a fan of them anyway, I didn't update my sub with them,

I bought Kaspersky for the Mac last night as soon as I realized what was happening. It didn't find anything (other than bad email attachments).

And to make matters worse...

Just found out that the hackers cleared out 40-50 stacks of stuff from the GBank of one of my guilds. Somehow they bypassed what should have been a 5-stack limit. The GM already put in a ticket for it, and was nice enough about it when I got on vent to tell them what happened. But I feel like an idiot. I should have warned them (or at least tried to) last night when I knew I was getting hacked, but didn't think about it.

sigh...
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

Sarayana wrote:You have to allow trusted sites with noscript. Click the S button (or if the yellow bar is up, the 'options' button), and see what's being stopped....
Yep, gonna take some time.. the real fun is going to be on my wife's laptop with all the anime sites she visits...
Account has been closed at user's request.
User avatar
Saturo
 
Posts: 18809
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Gender: Mortally impaired geekgirl
Location: My secret lair on Skullcrusher Mountain.

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Saturo »

Could always try google chrome. It checks googles database of "bad sites", so it's essentially NoScript without the setup.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

Saturo wrote:Could always try google chrome. It checks googles database of "bad sites", so it's essentially NoScript without the setup.
Not a bad idea, allthough I might save that for my banking and work sites, and leave FF for wow stuff.
Account has been closed at user's request.
User avatar
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4685
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Sarayana »

Guild banks being cleaned out is really not as bad as it seems. Your GL has to open a ticket to say that it happened, and once your ticket regarding your account has been resolved he/she will receive all the items in the mail. No work on their part, aside from the minute it takes to write the ticket.

Image
Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

User avatar
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:11 pm
Realm: EU-Arathor
Gender: Female
Location: England

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by kairii »

yeah you shouldnt beat yourself down you knew you had a set limit of 5 so ofc it wasnt a prio for you contacting blizz was getting your account back and safe!
and im sure none of your guildies mind items can be restored they are just coding :p

the faster blizz knows about it the faster it would be sorted

Image
A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature ♥

User avatar
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 6474
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 am
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash
Gender: Female
Location: In the bushes watching. Always watching.

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Sorry about this.

I'm an avid Kaspersky user and have been for four years!!! I will not recommend anything else or use anything else EVER. Nothing gets through! Nothing!

I also only use Google Chrome with adblock on it also. I NEVER EVER use IE. EVER! IE just seems to have to many viruses and keyloggers not to mention it's SLOW.

I've never been hacked. Never had a virus although believe me they've tried.

It's great that the GM's are helping you out. I hope you get all your toons and stuff restored.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
Image
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

And..

I'm back!!! :D The pets, the gear, and the gold have been restored, in that order of importance. ;) They said up to 2 weeks, but I guess it was easy enough to track down, and they were able to do the restore. A few oddities though...

I lost about 2k or so in auctions on my hunter that had ended as far as I can tell, no way to tell exactly what I lost there. Not a big deal.

On my toons on another server, I gained a LOT of extra mats (like 4 bags full of stuff, mostly enchanting mats) that I suspect might be from the GBank robbery, but no way to tell for certain (but it's quite likely, it was on my bank alt on that server, not the main character, but still...). :shock:

However, on that bank alt, I lost my 5-tab GBank as that toon was transferred to a different server. :? So to replace the Gbank tabs, I'd have to sell all the above mats and then some. :roll:

So right now, I'm just sitting on that, and see what happens in the next few days. If the GM of the guild gets the stuff back, then I may sell stuff to restore my GBank. If they don't I'll probably send them some stuff. If Blizz comes asking for it, that can take it.. Not sure what else to do.

So overall, it came out even. I'm a bit queasy about the extra mats, but will just have to see what happens.

Now here's the odd part... All the low-level toons, and only the low-level, got the core-hound pup for the authenticator that the hackers put on the account. But none of the 80s did. Explain that one... :lol:
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

and one more thing.. since my characters got moved and moved back, all the keybinding are gone.. pfft... thank goodness the macros are still there, as they are client-side now.

Going to go sit on a hill in Storm Peaks and wait for TLPD while I reset all the key bindings.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

acck... my Jeeves is missing, and my Mailbox... and I don't have the schematics to make all the Jeeves parts.
Account has been closed at user's request.
User avatar
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4685
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Sarayana »

I'd open a new ticket. Tell them that the guild bank is missing, mention Jeeves and the mailbox... I haven't ever heard from anyone that lost their guild bank, so I've no idea if they'll restore it, but it stands to reason that they will, since I've heard of them restoring entire, large guilds. Jeeves and the mailbox should be straight up.

Image
Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Fael
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Fael »

Another tool that can be handy to have running is a program like Malwarebytes.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

Sarayana wrote:I'd open a new ticket. Tell them that the guild bank is missing, mention Jeeves and the mailbox... I haven't ever heard from anyone that lost their guild bank, so I've no idea if they'll restore it, but it stands to reason that they will, since I've heard of them restoring entire, large guilds. Jeeves and the mailbox should be straight up.
I put in 2 tickets, one for my Jeeves and the MOLL-E, and another to report the pile of extra stuff on my one toon. I couldn't bring myself to not report that extra loot, it wasn't like it was just one or two stacks.

The GM had already ticketed for the raided guild bank, and they will only listen to the GM regarding that anyway. Don't know if the extra stuff was from there or not, I'm let the game masters decide that.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

Fael wrote:Another tool that can be handy to have running is a program like Malwarebytes.
Wish they had that for the Mac.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Slickrock »

And chatting with a GM, they are cleaning up the extra stuff the hackers left on the one toon, and will reimburse for the Gbank cost... so all is well
Account has been closed at user's request.
User avatar
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 16439
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Vephriel »

Good to hear Fearstalker, glad it all worked out for you!
User avatar
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 5649
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:32 pm
Realm: Llane
Gender: Female
Location: VA

Re: Just got hacked...

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Glad to hear it worked out ok! :)
Post Reply